Reincarnated As A Mother

Friday, June 19, 2009

I've Survived 3 Weeks On Hospital Arrest (Day 21)

Three weeks down... five to go. I hope. Today is Byron's birthday and he's celebrating by taking Reese camping up at Blue Lake. It's supposed to rain on and off-- and camping with a nearly 3 year old-- hmmm... not sure how much of a party that will be. But I am thrilled he is getting away-- even if it's just overnight. Work is still horrifically slow. So if you know anyone building or remodeling-- force them into using our metal tile. If you need help, I have some old mafia contacts from my Vegas reporting days. You probably don't think I'm serious do you?
My big "ah-hah" theory, I must admit (about the baby having heart decelerations from the monitoring belts being too tight) has been a somewhat moderate success. Since making the change to loose belts-- Spartacus has not had any of those hugely scary decelerations. But he did have a little one last night and today. His heart rate did not go as low or last as long-- but he did dip a bit. I was much calmer, however. Dr. Lovelace is trying to fit my ultrasound in today (between surgeries-- um, not on me) or tomorrow sometime. It should be interesting. I'll let you know.
I did get my much needed massage yesterday. So my body stopped aching for a while. The folks at this hospital really go out of their way to make us comfortable in this unit. I forgot to tell you the other night they asked if I was interested in "Pet Therapy". And here, I always thought that was just for the older folks and the kids. I declined-- but Byron and Reese ran into Mango (a cute little Australian Shep.) on the way into my room. Reese came bursting in here to announce that "Mango didn't bite me!" And a few minutes later, guess who was at my door-- Mango and his person. Reese loved it. So Pet Therapy, I can testify, helps at the very least to keep the patient's kids entertained.
The older girls are still at Lake Powell. They called last night. My brother's blackberry works if he is standing up (not sitting) on the fourth level/deck of the houseboat. The girls got on... but since they are much shorter-- they cut in and out a bit more. My mom and dad sent an email to my younger brother-- I think to torture us.. since we are not there:
"The guys made a huge long slide down the side of the hill with running water pumped up it--about 100 feet long--that shoots into the lake. The kids love it. We have canoes, kayaks, wave runners, boats, and all kinds of floating devices. The one boat is a mansion, the other slightly smaller--with all the things you ever want--two big screen TVs-with built in movies of every kind, sleeping, cooking, fridges, freezers, even central vac--real luxury. The kids are playing so well together--we get to bed way too late, but it is fun."
Sounds quite heavenly, eh? Scott, if you are reading this-- I don't care what you have to do... make this trip happen again next summer when I can go!!!
Other than that, I spent a good chunk of my day yesterday hand-writing a letter to my dear friend Bianca, who has now been moved to hospice as she battles the final stages of cancer. Don't let me ever complain about my situation, okay?

2 comments:

Carlie Pennington said...

This was the first time and I was getting rather concerned when you were referring to the baby as Spartacus. Thank goodness it's a nickname! ;)

Hope you're doing well! You are in our thoughts and prayers. Lindsay really would love to play with the girls if your family ever needs a break!

Love,
The Penningtons

karen said...

Just know I'm following along every day checking out the updates--sounds like you do have a uterus of steel. [so to speak].

hang in there. love ya. I'm almost jealous of the massages.