Reincarnated As A Mother

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Almost Three Weeks (Day 20)

I was going to start titling my stay here as "Ground Hog Day-- again". But I honestly can't quite claim that. My routine is basically the same.. but I have so many visitors that keep me sane and make each day unique. Yesterday, Ali brought me homemade Persian food and fresh picked cherries, Celesta (who's little boy, Steele was here in NICU for 100 days) came by, as did the 13 and 14 year old girls from my church. They made a big bright yellow sunshine with handwritten messages to hang on my wall. Sweet!
My theory on Spartacus not liking to be so tightly bound (and therefore moving until he pinches his cord) is holding. All of the testing yesterday and so far today has been uneventful- whew! As I reported to Dr. Lovelace this morning, he said all doctors are told to listen to their patients when they go to med school-- but few remember the lesson. You can't help but wonder why not... the patient will know his/her body better then the doctor. So let's just see if my little theory on Spartacus keeps holding. It sure has given me a break from the sudden onslaught of heart failure!
Dr. Lovelace and I had another long and interesting conversation again today. He told me I have quote-- a very stable uterus (meaning, it's amazing I still haven't had contractions). He kept saying that-- so of course, my smart mouth asked if I should list that on my resume. He said if I do, he'll be my reference. So next time I'm asked to list my strengths and weaknesses, I'll know the first think to list. Ha.
Looks like I will get my next ultrasound sometime this weekend when he's not so scheduled. He used to be one of the big mucky mucks at St. Joe's in Phoenix and said he was pleasantly surprised when he moved to little ol' Boise, Idaho to find that the NICU unit was better equipped and much more advanced than Phoenix. He says some of the best doctors he knows work here and have chosen this area for the quality of life. In other words, I'm getting better care here than if I were in LA, Phoenix or even Seattle. Doctors here (unlike there) don't have to deal with huge teaching and training populations and the indigent factor. So-- for the two of you -- I'll protect your names-- who called me early on in this mess and basically said: I don't want to offend you, but are you getting good enough care in Idaho? Now we all know-- I'm getting great care and the nurses here are amazing.
Now for a little kid update-- Reese is loving the one on one time with her dad. If all continues to go well on this end, he hopes to take her up camping Friday afternoon through Saturday afternoon. It's Byron's birthday tomorrow (Friday) and I would love for him to do something fun (and get away from all this stress). Poor guy, though, it's going to be kind of a quiet birthday and Father's day. Maybe I'm totally wrong-- I forgot, Reese hasn't learned the art of "zip it, lock it, put it in your pocket" when it comes to talking. Holland and Greer are, evidently, having an absolute ball at Lake Powell. My brother Doug and mom called this morning and were telling me how much fun everyone is having. They've docked the two houseboats (and one of them they say is a mansion-- 4 stories tall!!!) in a cove. My boy cousins-- I should probably describe them as manly cousins... since they are all grown up dads now... have dug out a beach and have put some monster slip and slide contraption down the hill that flings the kids up into the air and out into the lake. I can't wait to see some pictures (hint, hint).
Oh and lest we forget, today is massage day. Yep, I made it to another Thursday.

1 comments:

Mom said...

Great, great update, Lonni. I didn't know that about Dr. Lovelace - I'm not surprised, though. I think he's a gem. And my very favorite doctors I've ever had are in Boise, so I can side with his opinion that there are exceptional doctors here with GREAT personalities.