Reincarnated As A Mother

Monday, June 8, 2009

I'm Still Here... (Monday-- Day 10)

Sorry this post is so late. I know some of you get really worried but I haven't gotten around to getting on the computer much until now. I had lots of visitors and it seemed like the day got away from me. Cool, eh? So here's the doctor update. Doctor Lovelace came in this morning and I happily told him I had absolutely nothing to report. No problems, no contractions, nada. Maybe because of that he okayed me to go to "craft hour". After lunch, the nurse loaded me up in a wheelchair and wheeled me next door to the family lounge. I was joined by three other women on total bed rest. We got to sit in chairs for a full hour. Please try not to be jealous.
They gave us each a baby bib, paint and brushes. In case you are just dying to know, I painted a crocodile with his toothy mouth open and wrote "Got Milk?".
It was such a nice change of scenery. But I have to admit it was kind of a surreal experience. One woman was 35 weeks along and pregnant with twins. She was the most normal of the bunch. Then there was a 19 year old and a 20 year old-- both at 34 weeks and both had had their water break. I hope this doesn't come across elitest-- but both were covered with tattoos, every other word was, shall we say, colorful and both had boyfriends who looked to be more concerned with making sure their pants were sagging just enough to show the right amount of underwear. One of the boyfriends wasn't even the father of her baby. It was very interesting. No make that fascinating. All three are on public assistance and have had their pregnancies completely covered basically since conception. And yet, not one of them had an OB/GYN until they were rushed to the hospital. Now they just see whoever is working each day. They all kept complaining that since they were stuck in here, their WIC (foodstamps) were going to waste for this month or week. It was crazy. I kept feeling like I was on some reality show and about to be voted off because I was too boring (or perhaps just too old-- in that I'm old enough to be the mother of each of those girls). Anyway, as I said, it was an interesting day. I shouldn't be suprised. When we first got pregnant, and were in total shock, Doctor Lovelace said he sees to groups of "oops babies"... teenagers and women in their forties. After today's little lesson in reality, I'll happily accept being in the older group.
Love to you all!

4 comments:

Mama of 2 Hapas said...

Don't even get me started on public assistance! So glad you're doing well. Never thought about an hour in a chair as heaven...LOL!

Sherri said...

Maybe these girls need to consider adoption! How are they going to care for these children? Oh...thats right the state is. How nice of you to help them out. ;)

Glad your doing good and crafting.

The Good Life on Less! said...

I'm glad you had an entertaining time ... how boring it would have been to just sit and talk about the best school for you child ... as I do most days lately! :)

Gary said...

You may be old enough to be their mother, but they're not old enough to be mothers!