Reincarnated As A Mother

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Day 13 and I'm Feeling Spoiled!

It seems my joke about someone printing up a certificate is no joke. This morning the nurse came in and hung up a little award on the wall highlighting the fact I've made it to 26 weeks. She says I'll get one for every week I make it in here. With the goals I've set, I aim to have quite a collection. I wonder if it will look good on a future resume? Hmmm.
A friend of mine from my old ward has her sister-in-law in here, just three doors down. Crazy small world. She facebooked me this morning, so we are new friends with much in common. The nurse also tells me there is a sixteen year old in here, pregnant with twins (and this is her THIRD pregnancy). Reminds me of my young reporter days when I did a series of reports in Vegas (Brett, was it with you?) on a 14 year old and a 15 year old, who was pregnant with her third child. Guess the world hasn't changed much. I think I already posted this... but when Byron and I went into Dr. Lovelace when we first suspected we were pregnant with our little Spartacus-- he said he sees two groups of "oops" pregnancies: teenage girls and women in their forties.
As for Dr. Lovelace's visit today-- I made sure and waited until AFTER his visit to get into the shower. Don't ever say I don't learn from my mistakes. He was rather chatty this morning. Before he came in, he had spent time pouring over my printouts from the heart monitoring on the baby. He says he's seen a few patterns where the baby "dips" and then is flat for a while-- what he calls a recovery period. He thinks its probably where the baby is pinching or leaning against the cord. He says that's not surprising since I have little if any amniotic fluid. He says its unlikely that these episodes will just ramp up and ramp up until they have to do an emergency c-section. Instead, all will likely turn suddenly without warning. I asked him if he thought I could still go on in this waiting game and he said I could still go three or four more weeks. When a baby is under a stressful situation like mine is... their bodies kick off a hormone or something like that -- that helps them develop more quickly. For example, a typical baby will not develop his lungs until 37 or 38 weeks. In my situation, studies show a baby will develop his lungs at around 32 weeks. So my goal is to make it that far. Interesting isn't it? Finally, he told me he was amazed I had made it this far and it is very suprising that I am not having contractions. I told him it's because I've had several miracles-- and Dr. Statistics and Science agreed-- I have had some miracles.
One more thing, as if the hospital certificate did make me feel special enough... five of my dear friends (Joannah, Jeannie, Mary K, Susan and Trisha) showed up last night with the yummiest pizza and a chick flick (New In Town-- very cute). We ate too many treats, talked too much and just had the best time. I love all of my friends!!!
P.S. I made it to another Thursday here-- I haven't forgotten, but in case you have-- Thursdays are MASSAGE days! Yippee.

0 comments: