Reincarnated As A Mother

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Times Flyin' For A Tuesday (Day 46)

I will admit that my brain has gone to mush right along with my body in here. But I have "exercised' it today by working. I've been hired to write a press release for Stevens-Henager College and I just finished it!!!! Once it's approved, I'll shop it to my media contacts tomorrow and hope for some hits. Keep those fingers crossed. It was actually quite fun and good for me. Plus, I figure I'll earn enough to keep Spartacus in diapers for a few months.
Reese kept Byron up all night with an earache. So plans for the kids to visit have been put on hold-- I can't afford to get sick (I know, who can?)... but really, I have to keep working at my new career as an incubator.
Spartacus (a.k.a. Aquamarine according to Reese) is still cooperating. He had one decel last night-- Dr. Lovelace says his M.O. is about one every three hours. I still go back to my theory that he's practicing being a teenager and trying to drive me crazy.
My dear, long-time friend David Glodt just stopped by --by way of Houston. I adore this man. I met him after my junior year of college in the elevator of the Peabody Hotel in Orlando, Florida. I was majoring in Broadcast Journalism and went to Florida with another student and a handful of professors. We went for the Radio and Television News Directors Convention (News Directors are the ones who hire reporters). David-- at the time was the Los Angeles-based Bureau Chief for ABC News. He and I became friends and he ended up being my mentor for my career and has been so good to me over the years. I never made a move in my 15 years of television without his input and advice. He moved from LA to be the head of foreign coverage for ABC and was based in London. Then he "settled" down to be the head of weekend news and the executive producer of the David Brinkley Show. When I lived in North Carolina, I would drive up to Washington D.C. and he'd have me over to the taping of the Brinkley show (with Sam Donaldson, George Will and Cokie Roberts-- which was very, very cool when you are in your twenties and easily starstruck my big media players) and then we would go to breakfast at the Mayflower Hotel. He is brilliant and kind and has been a huge part of my life from college on. He is now retired. He lived and worked in Houston for many years when he was younger and has always had an affinity for the big rodeo based in Houston (I think it's the Houston Livestock Show). Now that he is out of news, he and his partner are over all of the television rights and production for the National Rodeo Association (I think that's what it's called). Anyway, talk about small world-- he comes to the Boise area every July for the Idaho Stampede-- I guess a decent sized but great little rodeo. So lucky me, I get to see him every year. This year, he happened to have to come visit me in the hospital-- but it was great. As I said, I love this guy!

0 comments: