Reincarnated As A Mother

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

More of what I missed... Greer's 6th Birthday

The day before I made my "fateful" trip to St. Luke's, Greer turned 6. I'm finally getting around to posting some pictures. (This was on May 27th). Greer is 3rd from the left, Holland is 2nd from the right and Reese is, of course, front and center. Since I was leashed to the couch, Grandpa Bodily had taken pity on our family and offered Greer the chance to have a swimming party. Thankfully, she said yes.

After swimming and lunch, it was pinata time. Did you know that you absolutely cannot have a 6 year old's birthday party unless you have a Princess pinata? Here's Greer taking a swing. She takes after her mother when it comes to athleticism. My brothers used to tell me I had mosquito legs. She looks just like me as a kid-- poor child.
Reese's turn to vent her frustrations.
Present time! I love this picture because this is so common. Byron's on the couch helping Greer. But notice Sophia in the front right corner. This is typical of our lives. Whenever we are praying, having a family discussion or anything--- one of our girls is doing a headstand, somersault or what I call donkey kicks. Remember the old saying ants in the pants??? I know if you are a parent you can totally relate.
Byron is lighting "the" cake. The week leading up to Greer's birthday, we had gone on line and found pictures of the perfect birthday cake. She wanted a Tinkerbell cake. So we went to two stores until we found the ideal Tinkerbell doll to use as the base and then bought a special pan and just the right colors to make frosting. I had planned to make one of those cakes with the big skirt and the doll sticking out from the waist up. That was all foiled by my bed arrest. So the day before the party, I was frantically calling around to our local bakery. When the baker told me he could make the cake but I'd have to give him more notice-- I burst into tears. Poor guy, he kept saying "don't cry lady, we'll make something work"! He sounded hugely relieved when he found out that Byron would be coming to pick up the cake and not me.
Greer seemed just fine with the finished cake. It had all these rings on it, in the shape of flowers. She was thrilled and hopefully too young to be embarrassed by her mother's little emotional outburst.

2 comments:

The Good Life on Less! said...

ok, looking at these beautiful spring pictures in boise is making the first phoenix summer back even harder to endure! What was it today? 135 degrees????

Blakeley said...

Okay, don't hate me--I know that shouldn't be a funny story about you crying while talking to the baker, but somehow it just made me giggle as you told of how he told you not to cry. I'm sorry--I'm a horrible friend, I know. I really am so sorry that you've had to miss these milestones. That would be a killer, and I sincerely feel for you as I look at the pictures of the events you've been away from. You're raising sweet, sweet girls, though, and I'm sure they'll understand and appreciate you even more once you're back home. You'll be a rock star!