Reincarnated As A Mother

Monday, July 27, 2009

More Waiting and Seeing (Day 59)

I'm still here. I know some of you have questioned that. But I made it to another day. And I'm still somewhat sane. Dr. Lovelace made it back Sunday afternoon. He talked to me for quite a while about my crazy weekend and his thoughts on the ultrasounds. He and the Perinatologist feel that the heart is probably NOT enlarged-- but since Spartacus' chest is so small it give the heart the illusion of being large. Dr. Lovelace spent a lot of time explaining how the lung fields grow and work and what will happen in the seconds and minutes after birth. Bottom line-- there is nothing we can do but wait and see if he has enough lung field capacity. He said keeping the baby in the womb will not make any difference when it comes to the growth of these "lung fields". However, it will help in other areas of growth-- such as weight gain etc. By the way, the Perinatologist, Dr. Lee's ultrasound showed Spartacus at 3 and a half pounds (instead of 3 1/4). So we'll gladly take that measurement.
I'm still feeling pretty calm and hopeful that all will be do-able. I have no doubts when it come to the baby surviving, I just hope I'm strong enough to handle whatever hurdles we will face. My womb is still "irritated" but not acting up nearly as much as this past weekend. In fact, I don't feel "different" like I felt over the weekend. However, I do believe the nurses all think I'm coming down to delivery time sometime soon. For example, my favorite day nurse, Liz suggested I only eat toast for dinner Saturday night. And Dr. Lovelace says things are looking calmer today but all could change in 10 minutes.
My mom gets home tonight and that will be a mighty comfort for me if things happen. Byron brought the girls up for the afternoon yesterday. They all seem to be in a much calmer state. A friend had brought in these adorable animal sticker books (so they'll have something to do here) and that kept them quite busy. Reese did ask me twice if once the baby is born if the baby and I could come live at her house. You'll be proud of me. Instead of crying, I told her I thought that was a terrific idea.
P.S. Listen to this verse from the Bible my friend Jeanette sent me: Exodus 14:14 "The Lord will fight for you, you need only be still." Could anything be more fitting?

6 comments:

The Good Life on Less! said...

LOVE THE VERSE IN EXODUS ... TRULY FITTING!

Cindy said...

You are so brave to do the "belly" photo shoot! You look great.
So the mantra is one day at a time, but so looking forward to Thursday Massage Day.
Love you,
Cindy

Taylor Family said...

That's better new about the ultrasound. I have never met anyone with as many friends and family as you have. There is an entire army of people praying and exercising their faith on your behalf. You have handled this ordeal amazingly well. Here's to another day.

Joseph and Kamber said...

I'm glad things are better today. I enjoyed getting to know you better last week. Hang in there.

Kamber

Kim said...

Hi, friend! Wow, I've missed a lot! I can't believe the weekend you had. Just when I think delivery time must be just around the corner, you stick it out even longer. You're amazing, and it seems that the hundreds of prayers said on your behalf are being answered. I just loved that verse from the Bible. It reminds me of the one that says, "Be still, and know that I am God", which is one of my all time favorites. I'll have to mark this new one. I'm hoping that your mom made it back safely and that everyone at "Reese's house" is holding up okay without you. I loved what you said about challenges and faith on your Sunday post (I think it was that one). I admire you so much! Love you!

Dawn Bushman said...

For what it's worth, when I was in 7th grade I was diagnosed with Asthma and lungs that were too small for my body. It meant I was released from strenuous activity in PE, but outside of that I was perfectly fine.

My lungs finally grew in high school and I was able to run track and cross country, which helped with the asthma.