Reincarnated As A Mother

Friday, July 10, 2009

I've Survived 6 Weeks (Day 42)

Sigh... 6 weeks is a really, really long time. In case you were wondering. I've finally attached pictures so you can get a glimpse of my cell. First up, here's Reese showing off the "guest quarters"-- this is the bed Byron claims is made for 18 year olds, not 40 something year olds. Here's my life--- actually where I spend my life-- in this bed. Holland and Greer are snuggled in. By the way, if you had told me two months ago that I'd be putting pictures of me on the internet for all to see-- sans makeup--I'd have thought no way. But since my pride, my privacy and my dignity have been stirpped in here-- I've learned to let go of my vanity too.

Here's Miss Wanna Be Vanna White showing off my refrigerator. Notice the microwave on the right and all of the priceless artwork created by my girls.
This is the view of my ceiling from my bed. If you visit, there's no need to count the painted leaves-- I've counted them many times. 22. The girls all take turns snuggling with me in bed. The girls have asked to spend the night-- not gonna happen in this lifetime.
Okay, so now that you have a visual, I'll update you on all of the exciting happenings. Actually, I'm not being sarcastic. I did get to take my wheelchair ride down to the cafeteria yesterday with the girls and my mom for lunch. However, I did question what happened to the mother I grew up with. Listen to what she bought the girls for lunch: fried onion rings, fried tater tots, fried chicken strips, fried spring rolls, a huge doughnut to share, a bag of chocolate, caramel covered pecans and of course soda pop and lemonade. When I was growing up... I clearly remember spinach and brussel sprouts on the menu!!! We were quite the spectacle-- my mom pushing the wheelchair. Holland trying to help. Reese and Greer on either side of me holding my hands. It was really quite fun.
My close girlfriend, Pam showed up with lots of treats last night and the movie: 7 Pounds with Will Smith. We loved it-- but a warning, you'll be completely confused and lost for the first 2/3rds of the movie... before anything starts to make sense. But its worth it.
As for today, Dr. Lovelace did not show up until after lunchtime. He is going to get an ultrasound done sometime today or this weekend. So we'll have a much better picture of how Spartacus is doing. The other point worth mentioning is that the baby is now at only a 2-3 percent chance of having brain bleeds if he is born now. That was a huge concern when we came in at 24 weeks. The Neonatologist warned us to prepare for that expected consequence of pre-mature birth and told us all about it in great, horrible detail. So once again, I'm feeling very blessed.
My insurance has also assigned a Perinatal Nurse to me (she's in Minnesota and will check in every few days via telephone). She is specifically there to cheer me on, keep me focused and answer any questions I may have about development and complications. Pretty cool move but I also realize she's watching to make sure no unnecessary tests are run or money spent.
And late this afternoon, my friend Julie Pascente waltzed through the door giving me quite the fun surprise. She lives in Phoenix and I haven't seen her for probably 6 years. She and her boyfriend came to Boise to visit her sister and stopped by my room with a stack of what I call brain candy-- People, Star and the National Enquirerer. Plus chocolate.






6 comments:

Chuck said...

I hear grandmothers are supposed to spoil the grandkids.

Anita said...

Stacy and I have been wondering what your "cell" looked like. Glad to finally see pictures.

Marti said...

Hey Lonni,

Loved the snuggling photos. Does ANYONE but you ever manage to look that gorgeous in hospital bed with no makeup? I don't think so.

So... now that I've buttered you up a little (really, you do look great!) could I make a special request?

Could we see a picture of you and Spartacus? A little outline so we see what you're seeing? Maybe I missed that photo, but I do wanna see how big he's getting, with an exterior view, if that's possible?

Your demanding friend...

Sherri said...

Wow, can't believe you've been there 42 days. Your a trouper!

Diane said...

Thanks for the pictures. Good job. I remember that your growing up house usually had a roast or pork chops with lots of salt and pepper, and mashed potatos on Sundays. And, there was always ice cream in the freezer. I am sure there were vegetables and salad but they don't stand out as much. But, it was always good and appreciated. Your mom was a trooper to feed enormous amounts of people that visited your house. I can also remember a delicious turkey that cooked in the microwave one New Years Day. I have lots of good memories and that says a lot. Because there is so much that I can't seem to remember these days.

Diane said...

Oh, I do remember sweet white corn that was grown in Idaho on one of the family farms.