Reincarnated As A Mother

Monday, December 10, 2012

We're Baaaacccckkkkk!

I'm not sure I can keep up this pace.
We are back in the hospital and it has been another exhausting day.
But I need to start with last night to set the scene.
As you know, Kean has been crying and in pain pretty much since we got home from the
hospital Friday night.
Tylenol with Codeine doesn't even touch whatever is bothering him.
Motrin buys us about a half hour free from crying but then it comes back.
So late last night, I called the on-call Oncologist (again) and she said if I could find a pharmacy open
near my house, she'd let me stay home for the night and would call in some narcotic pain killer.
I called my dear friend Shah who owns Customedica, a compounding pharmacy here in Eagle.
When I asked him what pharmacies were open on a Sunday night going on 10pm... he said he would
be and told me to have the doc call him and then me meet him in twenty.
Byron has helped him out and he said it was pay back time.
What a sweet moment. 
The meds calmed him down after about an hour and by about midnight, Kean finally crashed and slept
better than any other night in a week.
Dr. Chang figured the Neupogen shots he's on to force his body to make white blood cells and raise
his counts had worked too well and he had too many white blood cells-- and thus was in severe pain.
She told us to come in first thing.
Let's just say Kean wasn't happy.  I put a hat on him and he would just pull it down and whine.
Elly Moomey went with me and took this picture (I kept my eyes on the road).
 We got thrown a curve ball at the Cancer center.  His counts were shockingly low-- at 90.
So with no explanation for the pain, constant crying and a right eye that was doing weird
things, Dr. Camilo said we had no choice but to get admitted back into the ol' hospital.
Yes, I got emotional.  Again.  I'm seriously too old for this stuff. 
 And I won't go into detail about the part where Dr. Camilo told me the next month (the second half
of this Phase 4) will be worse than what we've just gone through.
Nope, can't go there yet mentally.
We had a tender moment in the office though, Danna (-pictured below) is the go to lady for
all scheduling.  She came in with a couple of red sweaters and let Kean pick one.
I guess there was a little girl who adored wearing red dresses and died of Cancer
last year.  Since then, her family has remembered her by giving red dresses or red sweaters
to all the children fighting this miserable disease.
 Once we settled into our room at the hospital, they came for Kean-- crib and all...
 and took him down to surgery to be put under for an MRI.
 They only let me go so far... before the Anesthesiologist took him away.
He was quite, underline, quite grouchy at being forced to fast (while on Steroids).
I swear that's the story of his life lately.
 Since he was going to be under for 1 1/2 hours, and I'm rarely able to get away,
I headed to our old stomping grounds-- the NICU to visit my cousin who
just gave birth to adorable twin boys.
Can I tell you what a nice break it was to hear about Justine's cute little guys and relive
her harrowing birth story.  Guess my life's not the only crazy one.
 I'll get a full report tomorrow but Dr. Hansen caught me tonight (get this, someone called
in a bomb threat to MSTI (the Cancer center for adults and children) and so the staff was having their
Christmas party in the hospital on Kean's floor). He said all looked good with the MRI (they had
feared a blood clot in his brain).  So tomorrow they will try another avenue to see what is causing
his pain.  But I must say we did see some progress tonight after he came to. 
He ate a great dinner and was pretty mellow leading up to ahhhhh, sleep.
Do you want to know what amazing friends I have?
Elly came up about 9:30 tonight and sent me home to get
a good night's sleep.
Perhaps I'll be ready to fight again tomorrow.

1 comments:

Terra said...

Bless your heart. Prayers, prayers, prayers for you and Kean and your whole family.