Reincarnated As A Mother

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Surrounded

Today wasn't necessarily much better in here... but it sure felt better.
Perhaps it is because I have such dear friends who keep me going by giving me bits and pieces of themselves.
Calene Borup spent most of the morning with us, of course doing the laps ordered by our little General.
 She snapped this picture of Mister Smiley.
He was quite ornery again but oh, do we appreciate Morphine and Oxycodone.
 Julie Kingsbury came by with bags of soup, salad and wraps from Chik Filet and
my other friend, Pepe McIntosh brought Gingerbread and Holly infused hand sanitizer--
which sure beats the hospital stuff.
Kean's counts are slowly rising.  Today he was around 525.  We are certainly headed
in the right direction.  I was starting to get depressed last night-- make that in
the middle of the night when Kean woke up with a fever of 102 plus.
I swear it is one thing after another in this torture chamber.
However, the nurse assured me this is quite the norm for this phase of Kean's treatment.
Plus, Dr. Hanson, in his rounding today gave me three options he thinks could be causing
the fever.  I picked my favorite one... and it is when the counts start climbing, it means
the soldier cells that kill germs are finally starting to rebuild their ranks.
And now that they have enough "men" they are sweeping the body looking for trouble spots--
the fever is just the body's was of saying there is a fight going on to kill off some germs.
So it could be a good thing.
At least that's what I'm telling myself.
Kean's mouth and throat sores are still horrific and very painful.  The Doc says they
won't start healing until his counts get into a normal range.  So keep praying for counts.
And thanks to Mary K and Jeanie who brought up scrumptious Thai food tonight
and kept me entertained with all kinds of talk that rarely strayed to Cancer.
I sure love my friends.

0 comments: