Reincarnated As A Mother

Sunday, December 2, 2012

Down For the Count

Just because we knew this day was coming doesn't mean it makes it any easier.
Kean is sicker than a dog and we are back at St. Luke's.
I should've known something was wrong when he didn't wake up before the sun...
and instead slept in well past nine.
Once I got him up, he could hardly sit.
 I also noticed on top of the lethargy, he had cracks on his lips.
While I was talking to my sister-in-law, who happens to be an Cancer nurse (for adults),
Kean started shaking.  She had me take his temperature.  And it went from
99.2 to 103.1 in about 15 minutes.
So off to the Emergency Room we headed.
It's a sad commentary when you know half the staff at the E.R.
Holland and my mom went with us for moral support.
 They took more blood than a vampire to run cultures and counts.
His counts came back incredibly low-- he's at 75 (remember
normal counts are 1000 to 9000).
Since we went to the E.R. closest to us, they transported us via a
special ambulance for infants.
 I thought Kean would freak out since he was strapped down, but
frankly he was too sick to even care.
Here's the view out the back doors.  It was surprisingly roomy in there.
 And here's April, one of the two nurses assigned to him for transport.
 Once we got to the hospital, we were so relieved to have one of our
all-time favorite nurses, Joe (remember him from the video) assigned to us.
Kean just wanted to sleep.
And so do I!!!
We'll see.
Sleep is quite elusive in here.
They have to check his vitals every two hours.
So I'm quite certain it is going to be a long night.
No, make that a long few nights.

2 comments:

Nick said...

I'm so sorry. Poor little guy. I pray for him nightly, and I hope he starts feeling better soon.

Unknown said...

Continued prayers, Lonni ... for Kean, of course, but also for you. (Oh, and {{{hugs}}} too.)