Reincarnated As A Mother

Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Christmas Eve and Christmas Day

I'm certain this will be a rather long post.  For that, I apologize.  I just
couldn't find the time  or energy to post last night-- too much going on.
So here's the highlight reel.
Kean was thrilled to be home and surrounded by family.
We had our traditional Christmas Eve family get together at our house.
This year, we had quite the little musical program.
Holland and her cousin, Morgan played us a few carols...
Greer did her part with her violin.
And my nieces and then my girls took turns singing for us.
That's Reese playing the part of Rudolph.
One of the best parts was watching Kean watch the girls.

My mom always tells the true Christmas story of Christ's birth while the kids act it out.
This year, Reese got to be Mary and Greer was Joseph.
For once, Byron backed out as the donkey and let Mark Moomey take the part.
Let's just say, it is never very spiritual but we love it nonetheless.
That is, everyone except for Kean.  He wanted no part of playing Jesus
or wearing the swaddling clothes.
The evening always ends with the kids opening up their gifts from their cousins and
pajamas from Grammy.
This year, my mom brought pajama bottoms for all the grand kids back from her trip to Turkey.
Pretty stylish.
We finally got the girls (and Kean) in bed...just in time.
Guess who Byron caught a picture of sneaking in through our back door.
 It was hilarious.
Holland couldn't get Greer and Reese to wake up to spy on the man in red.
Finally, she enlisted Byron to help.  And Byron literally picked
Reese up, and even though her eyes were open-- she was so out of it,
she said she couldn't even see Santa across the room.
After a while, she did wake up enough to take note of the large, older
gentleman jingling bells in our living room.
It was seriously, pure comedy.  Greer couldn't get over how white
Santa's beard was.  She thought it would be gritty and grey after flying through
the sky and sliding down all those chimneys.
The only down side about having Santa show up at your house is the kids
were all so hyper, it took them a while to get back to sleep.
But eventually they did
and eventually morning came with the mayhem that comes with
the opening of all the presents.
 As for Kean, he was too distracted by a little motorcycle he got from his cousins
to care about hardly anything else.
 He did get into helping his dad put the electric scooters together for Reese and Greer.
Check out the concentration on his face.
 And he totally was obsessed with the bicycle Byron and the girls bought me.
Mr. B. put the little seat on the back and took him for a spin
down the hall (since it was cold and windy outside).
 My favorite picture of the day-- is Mister "I love the wind in my face since I have no hair".
I can't wait for nice weather to take the boy
for long rides through the neighborhood.
I think it will do us both some good.
 And seriously folks, I don't think we can make it through a week, let alone
Christmas day without any drama.
I ended up spending the afternoon in the Urgent Care.
Remember how out of it Reese was when Santa came?
Guess we should've suspected something was up.
She woke up and I think used every ounce of energy to unwrap her presents.
A short time later, she started throwing up and didn't stop.
She even threw up twice in the Urgent Care, poor little thing.
If it wasn't for Kean and his low counts, I wouldn't have taken her in until tomorrow.
But thank goodness I did.
She tested positive for what we suspected:  Strep.
Some nausea medicine and a shot of Penicillin in the leg later,
we were back home with a girl that started feeling better fast.
Thank heaven.
I think we've done a decent job of keeping her away from Kean.
He is fine so far.
But I do have to share with you what Reese told me.
She said this "is going to be the worst Christmas ever".
When I asked her why, she said "because I'm sick and Kean has Cancer".
Poor thing sounded so pitiful that it was all I could do not to laugh.
I swear, around here, you either have to laugh or cry.

0 comments: