Reincarnated As A Mother

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Sunday, Sunday

I have decided I feel somewhat like a hamster racing around in one of those wheels.
Every day Kean gets feeling a bit better and then zap... he gets Chemo and starts the rotation again.
At least I know we only have to get through a few bad days before he starts feeling on the mend.
He had a rough night last night (which means Momma had a rough night). 
So of course, he had a marathon nap today.
My mom came over while he was taking his 4 plus hour
nap so the rest of us could go to church together as a family again-- it's been quite a while.

 In our quest to keep things as normal as possible, we went over to my parents house
 for our traditional Sunday dinner get-together.
My sister-in-law's mother Nedra always joins us.
About thirty years ago, she lost a son to the same type of Leukemia Kean has.
She has given me some of the best advice throughout this ordeal--- namely that this is a Marathon, not a Sprint and
how important it is that I pace myself and not get caught up in the emotional roller coaster but instead try and stay as calm as possible.  All good advice, don't you think?
Anyway, she came to my rescue tonight.  I was supposed to take off the bloody bandages over his port incision
and was so worried they would be stuck. 
She handled the dirty job for me and it wasn't bad at all.  Phew!
Kean must not have been too traumatized because after baths he went back to his old
trick (before he got sick) of climbing Grammy's stairs. 
 He didn't get too far but it's a start and good exercise.
 We sure love our little butterball!

0 comments: