Reincarnated As A Mother

Monday, August 20, 2012

Help From Above

One of the definite benefits of Kean getting sick is that we get to keep some of our same therapists.
Since he can't go to school for a year, he has to have his schooling and therapy at home.
This is Meagan, his speech therapist.
 We have really seen the Lord's hand already on this journey and Meagan was a big part of it.
I don't think I put all of this in the blog but going back to the very beginning of this story-- if you remember it all started
with a fever for Kean that wouldn't go away.  Then on a Saturday, his right arm swelled up and was very painful.
A trip to the Emergency Room told us they suspected a bone fracture (an occult fracture that is so tiny it doesn't show up in X-rays).  We were referred to a Pediatric Orthopedic Surgeon and when I called first thing Monday morning, he couldn't see Kean until Tuesday afternoon-- and Kean was in P.A.I.N.
I had forgotten that Meagan was coming for therapy that Monday morning.  If I had remembered, I would have
cancelled her visit since Kean was in no shape to do any work.
She walked in the door, saw Kean's splint cast and said "Oh I know exactly what you are going through"... her 18 month old Kate had broken her leg a few days before.  She mentioned that she had gone to the best Pediatric Orthopedic Surgeon-- who I immediately called.  And surprise of all surprises, he could see Kean at lunch time.
That doctor;  Dr. Buzz Showalter's son had cancer when he was a five year old-- so Dr. Showalter picked up on the slight variations of the bone marrow in Kean's X-ray.
Mere coincidence?  I think not.
In fact, several folks at the hospital have told me there is no way the original doctor we were slated to see would have ever picked up on the Leukemia.
We like to joke that Meagan's little Kate-- had to break her leg so Kean could get his Cancer diagnosed as quickly as they did.  Because by the time we got the blood results back on Tuesday morning and got him to MSTI (Cancer center) on Wednesday, he was going downhill fast and in an unbelievable amount of pain.  They told us his Leukemia cells were at 100 percent-- they had totally invaded and taken over his bone marrow.
So now you can see why Meagan is so special to us!
 On the shot front.... it is getting easier.  Oh, I still hate, hate, hate giving my boy shots twice a day but
I am over the getting physically sick to my stomach each time I have to do it.
I guess practice makes perfect.  And geez, I've had a lot of practice.  We've filled up our first Sharp's Container
and they are delivering a second today.
Onward and upward.

3 comments:

Jeannette Duwe said...

Amen, and Amen! May the Lord continue to show you his graciousness and mercy. He loves this little one dearly and you have not escaped his eye either, girlfriend. Love ya,
Jeannette

Mindy said...

Isn't it amazing how clearly we see God's hand in our lives when we look back? And I'm sure we only see the very surface. I know your family is being watched over. Love you all.

mazie07 said...

Megan and I knew from the moment the diagnosis came in, just how the Lord had his mighty hand on this situation.How great is his love!