Reincarnated As A Mother

Saturday, August 29, 2009

Too tuckered out to dazzle...

So today wasn't as stellar as yesterday. Kean couldn't wake himself up enough to latch on for our first session-- so we did physical therapy instead. I work with him twice a day-- on trying to tone up his legs and arms. I also work with him on his mouth-- stretching out the tight cheeks and helping to stimulate the muscles. He latched on this afternoon for about 12 minutes. I guess he can't be a rock star every day. The doctor said this is normal-- good days and bad days.
Kean also pulled out his feeding tube today. Ick. The nurse had to thread a new one down his nose and into his tummy. He did okay with that-- but threw a good fit when she pulled the tape off his face (the tape that held it in place). Poor little guy, has a very red cheek.
Our good friends, Ron and Elly came over last night so Ron could show me some strengthening exercises for my legs and arms. I was embarrassed at how weak I've become. I could barely do ten reps of each exercise-- and these aren't anything difficult!!! My arms and legs are like toothpicks-- with flab. Oh joy. At least my walking is improving. I've graduated from the old lady stage to the walking stiff.

1 comments:

Julie Overfield said...

I am the Vice President of an organization here in Arizona that works as a liaison between parents of special needs students and our school district. The President is one of the my best friends, Suzanne. Suzanne and I met years ago at a happy hour social for parents with special needs. Her son has Downs Syndrome. Suzanne and I are like sisters from different mothers. We are so much alike. Her son's name is Colin. Someday I'll tell you all about Colin. How he causes smiles to grow on every face in the room when he walks in. How he is such a ladies man even at age 10. The girls love and fawn all over him. How his sweet young spirit is an inspiration.

Heavenly Father knows you. He knows that you are what Kean needs. My prayers are with you that he comes home from the hospital soon and that you can be together in that beautiful home you have created as a family.

Love,
Julie Overfield