Reincarnated As A Mother

Sunday, August 16, 2009

A Decent Day

Today was a much better day than the last few. We had no huge traumas in the NICU today and that was a much needed break. I told you about the day of IV attempts. The IV they finally got into his head -- failed at 2:30 in the morning (Saturday morning). So on Saturday they decided to put a PIC line into him. It's another sterile procedure (where they put a line into his vein in his arm and thread it up and across his chest to a point just above his heart). I was kicked out of his room for a brutal 2 hours. It took three tries before they got it in. Instead of an IV, this is how they will give him his antibiotics. So Saturday was once again, draining. I don't know how any parent handles watching their children suffer. I guess I should feel blessed my baby doesn't have cancer or some other disease where they must be in frequent pain. Poor Spartacus was really stoned on Morphine by they time they let me be with him late yesterday.
Today (Sunday) was a much better day. His infection is looking better-- his counts are better and he just seemed better. For the first time, he really opened his eyes and kept them open. In fact, they had me try and breast feed him. It's actually called recreational feeding. He's getting all of his nutrition through a line in his nose-- so the breast feeding was really just an exercise in trying to get him to open his mouth. It wasn't very successful. However, I was told today, that when it comes to Down Syndrome babies-- everything will take much longer and more patience. So here's my first lesson in being his mother.
Thank you everyone for giving me the space I so need right now. I've read a few emails (it will take me some time there are nearly 200) and some of your comments. Thank you. I love you all!!!
P.S. We are sooo close on a name. I just have a pleasantly stubborn husband who is in no hurry.
Also, my brother, Marc and his wife Rachel saw him tonight for the first time. Rachel took some new, very cute (I swear I'm not biased) pictures and so hopefully, I'll get them from her and post them.

4 comments:

Cindy said...

Lonni,
I know you and Byron must be very exhausted, so thank you for keeping us updated. I so hope all our prayers are giving you both some strength and comfort.
You are giving this little guy such love. He knows you and trusts you. Please continue to have faith.
Much love,
Cindy

Kim said...

Lonni, I'm so glad that you had a better day. I hope your days continue to get better and better. I can't wait to know what his name is...the suspense is killing me!

Allysun said...

Lonnie & Bryon,
I am not going to say I understand what you are feeling right now. I do know what it feels like to love a child with everything you have and want only the very best for that child! I know that this little one is blessed to be coming to the both of you and his 3 big sisters. We are here to hurt with you and to rejoice with you through all of it. Thank you for always being such good friends we love your little family and look so forward to getting to know this little man.
Love you so much,
The Christensens

Leah said...

Lonni & Byron,
We are keeping up with your news through your blog. You are in our prayers. Those pictures are so powerful. I am so gald you can hold him. We know the ups and downs of the NICU- its like each day is an event. We know you will be sustained through the faith and the love of many and God's own love for you. Times like this when heaven seems the closest and the furthest away. No neutral ground.
Thanks for the updates,
Leah, Jay and kids