Reincarnated As A Mother

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

A day with no big events....

Ahhhh... made it through another day. Kean just gets cuter and cuter. The IV on his head (the nurse calls it a unicorn IV) is still working. Keep your fingers crossed. We need it to stay effective for a few more days of antibiotics. He's still sleeping a lot but his stomach infection is looking better and better with each day.
Kean had his first male nurse today, a guy named Dan that I just loved. Talk about compassionate. This will make you smile. As I mentioned yesterday, we are doing "recreational" breast feeding-- trying to get Kean used to the breast and trying to get him to latch on for a minute or two (which he did today for a whopping 4 minutes). What a fighter.
Anyway, today marks the first day I've ever had a man (Dan) show me-- using his own breast-- how to manually express a few drops of milk the correct way. By the way, "manually" is not meant as a pun. It was a sitcom in the making.
Some of you have asked about my physical strength. I can tell you that I've been blessed to quickly get enough energy to walk to the NICU without the burning and swelling I had last week. So progress... Just don't ask me to help you move.
Thanks to Pam and Elly for taking me and picking me up today.

5 comments:

Marti said...

I think you're flat out amazing, Lonni.

Anita said...

You're totally right. I laughed. In fact, I re-read it just so I could laugh again. The question is: how did you keep from laughing?

The Good Life on Less! said...

Seriously, I wish you had a video of him trying to "man"ipulate his breast! :)

Kean sounds like he is "man"aging the practice breast feeding well himself. Fabulous!

Kerri said...

It is so great to see you workin' all this!! We are cheering you on!

karen said...

I've never even fathomed such a thing as a man teaching a woman how to breastfeed. I'll get back to you when I can compute that one...

hopefully you're able to "man"euver this breast feeding thing better. "Man"y happy thoughts going your way...Sorry, Stacy started it.

OH, and I absolutely love the name Kean. Is it Celtic? Welsh? Irish? Mormon Idahoan? j/k. just curious...you guys had to have run across that one in the baby book?! How come nobody thought to name their kid that yet? It's very masculine and very cool sounding. Who doesn't want to be "keen?"

u guys really do have the best kids' names.