Reincarnated As A Mother

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Drum Roll Please.....

We FINALLY have a name for Sweet Baby Boy Barker...
Nathan Kean Leavitt Barker
So whaddya think?
I know it's a mouthful. We didn't want to go with 4 names... but once I tell you the back story of his name... you'll understand.
We had settled between Kean (which means fighter) and another name we liked. But Thursday night, after we'd found out our baby had Down Syndrome, our Bishop came over and gave Byron and I blessings (words of comfort we believe are from our Heavenly Father). After he finished, Bishop Firmage said as he was giving the blessing, he kept wanting to refer to the baby by a certain name. Of course, we told him he had to tell us what that name was. He said "Nathan". Both of us were like hmmm. We hadn't really even considered it (especially since one of my best friends in the world-- Stacy had named her oldest son Nathan).
I looked up the meaning of Nathan that night and it means "Gift of God". If you had heard the blessings from our Bishop-- you'd understand how fitting the name would be.
The next day, I walked into the NICU and as we were working with the baby-- Pam, our nurse asked me if we had chosen a name. I told her we were considering Kean and Nathan. When I said Nathan-- she let out a little squeak of surprise. When I asked her what that was all about... she said she had felt inclined to call him Nathan all morning.
So hopefully, you can now understand why we've been so torn and why Nathan has to be part of his name. Plus, our adopted "Grandpa" Bodily's middle name is Nathan. We've named each of our girls after people we deeply love and respect.
We felt like both names fit him-- he is a gift straight from Heaven and yet he's been such a fighter to get here and will likely have some pretty big battles in his life.
Byron's family tradition is to use the mother's maiden name as the middle name. So there you have why he has a mouthful of 4 names. We'll likely call him Kean. Hey, he has to have an unusual name to fit in with our family.
As for NICU today--- it was a pretty good day. His PIC line failed at 6am... so by the time I got there this morning, he had a honkin' huge IV sticking out of the crown of his head. Our nurse put a hat on his head so I wouldn't have to look at it. I didn't have the heart to ask how many tries it took or how long. I will tell you, he reminds me of the old "coneheads" from when I was a teen watching Saturday Night Live.
His infection is looking better, as are his counts.
I spent about an hour total today working with an occupational therapist to stimulate the muscles in his mouth. We even "practiced" breast feeding and he actually latched on for about a total of 2 minutes. That's huge. I hope I'm not getting my hopes up... but I think he's going to be on the higher functioning side of Downs.
I also got pee'd on for the first time. I jinxed myself and told my Aunt Daleen that he hadn't done it yet... and whaddya know!!!
He's a real boy!

11 comments:

The Good Life on Less! said...

Love the name ;) Seriously forgot about the newborn baby boy peeing all over you all the time thing ... it helps to have washcloths ready :)

Carlie Pennington said...

I love the name. It's perfect. We love you all!

Cindy said...

Ditto, love the name(s)!
So I was the only smart one of the doctors, nurses and dad when Adam was born. He pee'd on all of them! I however, covered him immediately. Forgot to tell you about that magic trick Lonni!
Way to make your mom and dad (and the rest of us) laugh Nathan Kean!
Love,
Cindy

Christine said...

It's perfect! He certainly is both a gift and a fighter!

That peeing part really made me laugh. Brought back a few memories! Hee, hee.

Kim said...

I love his name and I especially love the story behind his name. I'm glad you've written that on your blog so you can have those memories preserved. We don't have any cool stories like that behind our kids' names--just chose ones that we liked the sound of. I love hearing cool stories like that. That washcloth tip from your friend is a good one. We did the same thing, and it helped. We still had a couple of accidents on our carpet with Jake (They can shoot that stuff so far!), but we were able to stay dry most of the time.

Marti said...

I really like Kean and Nathan just seems so right, you know? (But darn. I kinda kept hoping you might go ahead and name him Spartacus. Heehee!)

As for the pee-ing, well, Lonni, it's about time, huh?

Congrats! He is beautiful and now he's perfectly named! :)

Sherri said...

I LOVE the story behind his name... it's perfect Lonni! Love the picture of Byron holding KEAN! It makes me want to cry!!!

Chuck said...

I like the name. I like Kean. Don't worry about the 4 names, I have cousins with 5.

Nick said...

His name is perfect! I'm so happy he's doing better as well!

Britany said...

The five of you and Nate the Great have been in my thoughts and prayers and will continue to be. He's perfect. I can't wait to hear Byron & Uncle Craig's raves about the newest Barker boy. Love you guys!

CJ said...

Yay a name! My brother's name is Nathan, and I have two middle names myself, so naturally I think it is totally awesome! And.....his kidneys work. He truly is a miracle baby.

-Charmen-