Reincarnated As A Mother

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Our Life Has Changed...

I'm sorry I've been so silent over the past few days. We've, as you are about to find out, have been dealing with an awful lot. Over the past several months, we have witnessed many miracles and for that we are so thankful. The birth of our baby was even more evidence of how we have been blessed. As you know, we avoided a C-Section and our little boy came out bigger than we ever could have hoped for. And then when he cried and cried-- it was the sweetest sound I've ever heard. I just sobbed. My most beloved nurse, Liz was emotional and even Dr. Lovelace. He hugged me and said experiences like this are why he became a doctor. Every prayer uttered over the past 75 days was answered ten fold. Our son had lungs!!!!!
About an hour after the birth, the Neo-Natalogist came into our room to tell us they had seen a few signs pointing to Trisomy 21 (Down's Syndrome). So we immediately went from the highest of highs to sheer worry. A one hour ultrasound of his heart-- showed only an open flap (very common for premies-- and will likely heal on its own) and not the dreaded heart ailments usually associated with Downs. Blood was drawn and sent off for chromosome testing. We were told to expect the preliminary results on Friday with the final results coming in two weeks.
Those preliminary results came back today (Thursday) instead. And they are positive. The doctors say he has Down Syndrome and the final results will just confirm it. So as you can imagine, we are reeling with the news. We do not know how severe his Downs will be. That will be determined as he grows. We are comforted with the fact that he is not saddled with any of the huge physical challenges we had feared would come with the situation I had faced in the hospital. We are so grateful for the prayers, fasting and blessings that have worked those miracles. It has been an extremely emotional time for us-- so I hope you can understand why we have not checked emails, phone messages or been home much. We just ask that you give us some time to grapple with and adjust to what we have ahead of us. We are emotionaly exhausted and ask that you hold off calling us and instead give us time. We feel your love and know your heartfelt intentions. And we are so appreciative. We will keep you updated via the blog. It may not be every day like it was when I was hospitalized but I will keep you updated.
We already love this little boy more than we could ever express with mere words. As for his name... we had it narrowed down to two names-- but now we are not sure they fit. So we will let you know when we know. Thank you from our hearts for your continued love, prayers and support.
Lonni and Byron

15 comments:

Diane said...

Oh Lonni and Byron! Sending you a big hug. Take all the time that you need. You are in competent hands and have all of our support.

Kerri said...

Thinking of you.

Unknown said...

Sending prayers, hugs, and love your way! Love, Michelle

Marti said...

Lonni and Byron, I'm sorry that he's going to have issues, but I know you're not sorry for who he is and the promise he represents. All my thoughts and prayers are with you.

The Good Life on Less! said...

Love you guys!

Christine said...

Oh, I am so sorry. I can only imagine how frightening that must feel. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

karen said...

We love you guys. Thinking of you like crazy. Fondest thoughts from AZ...

Taylor Family said...

I love you guys and your sweet little boy. He is blessed to have come to such a wonderful family.

Sherri said...

Lonni & Byron,

I'm so sorry to hear this news. I'll keep praying that you will feel peace through this.

Love you!

gramyflys said...

Sometimes our greatest challenges turn out to be our greatest blessings. The Lord is in charge and loves your family. We love you all...
The Emigs

Anita said...

You know how much I love you and your precious family. I still consider this whole experience one of the greatest miracles I have witnessed in my lifetime! You have been blessed with one of God's greatest spirits -- a child without guile, blessed with unconditional love -- one who Satan has no hold over. What a blessing! Although challenges will surely be ahead of you, I'm confident the blessings will far outnumber them and he will bring joy to your lives that you could have never before imagined. Know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.

jill said...

Lonni and Byron...I have been reluctant to say anything because I know this is such a personal matter. I just wanted you to know that even though the road ahead might be difficult, this little boy is so very lucky to have you as parents. You are all in my thoughts and prayers.
Jill Thompson Lueck

Casey said...

I can't even imagine all the emotions you are experiencing. We are thinking of you.

Cindy said...

Lonni and Byron,
The prayer support will continue, so please just take this time to comfort each other and know that we are here for you when you are ready.
Much love,
Cindy

p.s. Stacy, can you please call me when you have time - 602-380-7528

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry-I was out of touch for two days and finally read and caught up on your updated situation with your new little guy. I am thinking of you, sending constant love and prayers. You are strong and loving people and you will work through these life issues with everyone's love and support, family, friends and God.
-Gwen