Reincarnated As A Mother

Monday, August 17, 2009

Another Day with No Big Trauma

We have some new pictures to show you of "Sweet Baby Boy Barker". Byron held him for the first time Sunday afternoon.


Can you believe his fingernails? He came out needing them clipped.
He spends about 99 percent of his time sleeping. Isn't he the yummiest?
He wore his first clothes (hospital clothes) on Sunday. The nurses leave his right arm out of the clothes.. that's where his PIC line is.

We had a good but exhausting day in NICU. His infection is starting to clear and he was awake this afternoon for about 25 minutes. The therapist showed me several exercises to do with him to try and get the muscles strengthened in his mouth and tongue. This Down Syndrome journey is going to be a long one-- but he's so dang cute, he's worth it.
We had a special Family Night tonight with the girls-- where we read (okay, Byron read it-- I couldn't do it) a children's storybook (thanks to their Aunt Missy and Uncle Craig for the inspired gift) about a big sister who's brand new baby brother is diagnosed with a thing called Down Syndrome. It's all about the things she'll be able to do with her baby brother-- it just will take more time to teach him than it would another baby.
Our girls were quite pleased with the comment that they are very smart and fast girls-- so they'll be the perfect teacher for a special little brother like this one.
Oh... he will have a name. It's driving me crazy too!

15 comments:

The Good Life on Less! said...

Oh my goodness Lon ... so cute & so tiny!

Sherri said...

He's adorable!

Melissa Snyder said...

He is so precious! I love the pictures. You are right, he is so dang cute! What a sweet boy. I am glad that all is going better. You all deserve it and so does that little guy.

Joseph and Kamber said...

Very precious. We are thinking of you.

Kim said...

Lonni, Lonni! He is so adorable! I am such a sucker for baby feet. I just love the pictures of his tiny little feet and of your hands together. They grow much too quickly, so I'm glad you have pictures of him while he's this tiny. He's precious. I told my kids today that you guys were still trying to narrow down a name for him but that one of your girls had suggested the name Aquamarine. They thought that was hilarious. Maybe I shouldn't tell you that our family was laughing at that name just in case you decide to go with that one...we're waiting........no pressure....Love you guys!

Diane said...

Totally cute. I think about you guys everyday. Glad that you have had a couple of quiet days. You're all going to be great teachers and wonderful advocates. "Boy baby" couldn't ask for a better mom/family to help him with his special needs.

karen said...

No, I would not blame you if you just gobbled him right up. He's already chubby and little folds in his hands/fingers!

I did a frowny face when I saw his little needle stuck hands and feet, bless his little pin-cushiony heart...love ya...

Shellee said...

Ooooo...Ahhhhh. There you go... making me all baby hungry again. Man, and I thought I was all done.
He's asolutely adorable! Look at those squishy cheeks. I want to play the horrible aunt and pinch them!
Don't stress about the name, we didn't have one for our little guy for 3 days (until we left the hospital).
Congrats, he's really too cute for words.

rebecca said...

I just can't get over what a beautiful little baby he is. Don't worry about the name...our last one didn't have a name for two weeks and in the hospital the nametag read, "Goofy" (thanks to a nurse w/a funny sense of humor). Take your time...it will come. What a joy he will be to you.

Taylor Family said...

He is a cute little munchkin. It's so funny what you wrote about the fingernails. The first thing I saw when the doctor handed Zachary to me after birth was his long fingernails. Hope you are feeling better today. You are never far from my thoughts.

Nick said...

I can't believe how tiny he seems next to you guys. So precious.

Mama of 2 Hapas said...

Such a beautiful baby boy. Just got caught up on your blog since I've been without a computer for weeks. God has truly blessed you, and He will help you find the strength for the long road to come! :)

Rebekah said...

I agree with Rebecca, he will be a joy to you. It was great to see your Mom last Saturday. Giving her a hug was as close as I could get to hugging you. Little Aguamarine could go to a better family. You know you, Byron and especially your three girls will be saints because of your association with your little miracle baby. Love you so much and our prayers are still with you.

Cindy said...

Spartacus is so beautiful! Yes, he will not be happy with me describing him with that adjective, but he is!!! He has such a sweet and tender look.
Keep the pictures coming.
Love,
Cindy

CJ said...

He's beautiful! What a treasure, I just love, love, love little boys.

-Charmen-