Reincarnated As A Mother

Thursday, August 27, 2009

I just got back from the "meet the teacher" night at Greer and Holland's school. It was one of my first big social outings -- back into the real world known as life. Along with 8 thousand other parents, I waited in line, filled out forms and wrote checks. It was wonderful to see many friends and dear teachers though.
Kean is still slowly making progress. I swear, that boy just gets cuter and cuter! He was awake for a good hour today-- the most ever. Awake and alert. I watched as a new baby came into the room next to us and then was released to the normal nursery after two hours. I have to admit, I had a few pangs of jealousy. The baby's mom and dad seemed so worried and yet, all was fine with their baby. I can't help but look at Kean and wonder what his life will be like. I guess I wouldn't be a mom if I didn't worry about his future and what he will and won't be able to do.
He did get a new roommate yesterday. That baby, Xavier, finally went home. The new baby, a girl, seems to be following in his footsteps. I've yet to see a single visitor. She never cries-- just sleeps in her incubator. Maybe her mom is recovering in bed... or maybe they visit in the middle of the night... UG.
Greer, by the way, had her annual "Mary K Day" today. Mary K started the tradition a few years back with Holland and then Greer-- where she takes them out for their birthday and spoils them rotten. Today, she took Greer on a shopping spree at WalMart and then to an afternoon at the Idaho State Fair. Greer has been so excited-- she even had a calendar to count down the days to her special day. Thanks to Mary K and all my other incredible friends who have helped my kids to feel so loved this summer.

4 comments:

The Good Life on Less! said...

Boy, I wish there had been a Mary K around when I was a little girl! :)

karen said...

Maybe Mary K will take me out for my birthday.

Greer (her eyes, especially), looks like she will explode with excitement holding that little Kean.

Sherri said...

I hope someone visits the little baby girl... that makes me sad.

Greg and I had dinner tonight and ran into step cousins. One of the girls has down syndrome (I think she's 20). I don't know her well but she seems fairly normal to me.

Months ago she was volunteering at the Humanitarian Center and I really enjoyed our conversation. She explained to me that she had DS and told me how that happens. She was a little boy crazy and didn't love volunteering. She seemed like a normal girl her age who happens to have Down Syndrome. Hopefully Kean will also one day be a happy 20 year old. :)

Ficklins said...

What a beautiful family you have. When I was pregnant with my 4th child, I was told he had downs. After many tests it ended up not being the case but during that time I had many emotions which I am sure you have had as well. Just know that he was sent to you and your husband for a reason. I can tell by just reading your blog that you are an amazing mother and that little boy is very blessed, but you are even more blessed by being given the chance to mother him. He is a gift. Enjoy him :)