Reincarnated As A Mother

Friday, August 30, 2013

Cha Ching

Poor Keanut.
I think he was traumatized at his Ear, Nose and Throat Doctor's appointment.
Three of us held him down so Dr. Schwarz could try and work on his ears.
Down syndrome kiddos have tiny ear canals which makes it nearly impossible to get in there
and try and examine and clean out any gunk.
Dr. Schwarz succeeded with one ear but gave up with the other.
Kean may be small but oh, is he strong.  Especially when he is screaming
and fighting us holding him still (or trying to do that).
We stopped in at the hospital to see the big bake sale.
We sold out on nearly everything and made about $650 on just the goodies alone.
Plus we got a lot of folks excited and informed about the big Baldapalooza concert
coming up in a few weeks.
 I had to laugh, it was like old home week for me at St. Luke's.
We saw three of Kean's doctors, tons of the nurses we have gotten to know
from our stays in Ante-Partum, NICU, PICU, Pediatrics, MISTI, and Pediatric Oncology.
That doesn't include all the folks from maintenance, food services and housekeeping
that we have met along the way.
It was crazy.
Add to that, my cousin, Ginger who just gave birth to a baby earlier this week.
She was in my old room in Ante-Partum and had my favorite nurse Liz taking care of her
(Liz was the nurse who helped deliver Keanut) and they both came by the bake sale!
 Oh, and before my 95 year old Grandma and my mom took Kean home
for a nap etc., we all went up to NICU to meet Ginger's new baby, Weston.
He weighs 4 pounds 11 ounces and seemed so very tiny.  I can't even begin
to remember Kean being even smaller than that.
I also ran into my cousin who just started a few months ago at the hospital as a Neurologist
and then went upstairs to visit my Aunt Marianne who is in the hospital for a few days
fighting cancer.
We are hoping she goes home tomorrow.  While the hospital is filled
with some of kindest people you'll find-- it is still not a very fun place to be.
Today was kind of an exception.  I got to see all the good people
but got to walk right out the door without waiting for a doctor's permission when the bake sale was over.
That was a nice change.  

0 comments: