Reincarnated As A Mother

Friday, November 9, 2012

Little Italy

I guess one of the blessings of Kean not being well enough to have his Chemo yesterday
is that he's not so sick today.
He happily played with some of his toys...
 which gave me time to actually get a few non-necessary things done around here.
A couple of weeks ago, before it started getting consistently cold at night, we
picked most of the tomatoes out of our garden-- all the green ones too.
They've been "hibernating" in my pantry- snuggled between layers of newspaper.
And voila', they've started turning red.  Tons of them.
So here's what I did today;  chopped them up and threw them into a roasting pan.
 I then smothered them in olive oil, garlic, kosher salt, black pepper, oregano, rosemary and basil-- lots of basil.
  Next, I roasted them in the ol' oven for about 4 1/2 hours (350 degrees).
And oh my, did the house smell like an Italian Pizzeria.
 Once the tomatoes cooled, I spooned them out of the juice and put them into my Cuisinart.
 A few quick pulses later and you have the most amazing Italian sauce-- perfect
for Pizzas, Pastas or a sauce for dipping toasted Italian bread .
 I have a tray full of bags that will go into the freezer.
Can I just repeat how much I love living in Idaho where
we have room to grow a garden and reap these yummy benefits
(even if we totally ignored our garden for much of the summer thanks to that darn Cancer).
Oh, by the way, Kean's Chemo has been moved to Tuesday.
So we get an extra day of him feeling somewhat human.

0 comments: