Reincarnated As A Mother

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Ignoring the Elephant in the Room

Tomorrow we head to the hospital to start the dreaded Phase IV of Kean's Chemo treatment.
All of it has been pretty awful but this is the phase that will separate the men from the boys.
He will go in fasting and if the blood work shows his counts are high enough, they'll send us up to
the PICU for a Spinal Tap.  That's where they will put the Chemo into his Spine and Brain and
for good measure, another dose in to the port in his chest.
If his counts are not high enough, we'll head home and start over on Tuesday.
Personally, I'm praying we get the green light tomorrow.  I want to get this going
so we are that much closer to getting done with this crazy ride.
So instead of thinking of tomorrow as "Chemo" day or "Phase IV" day,
in my mind I'm thinking of it as rubber ducky day.
Hey, don't question my mental health.
Each day Kean goes into the Cancer center, he gets his blood drawn.
And each time he gets his blood drawn, the nurses give him a cute little duck.
Last week's was this "hunter duck". 
The week before was "Hawaiian Luau duck".
He has actually amassed quite the collection or flock...
these are just a few of the ones scattered around the house, in the car, the diaper bag--
they are everywhere now.
They have taken over.
But here's a blurry picture of my all-time favorite (thus far)... I think
he's supposed to be a farmer with a pitch fork.
I, however, have named him "Deliverance Duck".
He kind of freaks me out.
He must freak Kean out too.
He gets his ducks, looks at them and then
promptly throws them.
Keep my boy in your prayers that tomorrow will go well.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Continued prayers, my sweet friend ... for Kean and for you.

lime said...

We pray for Kean every morning and night. Soren is especially mindful to pray for you and Byron too--that you can "do a good job taking care of Kean.". Thinking of you today and keeping my fingers crossed!