Reincarnated As A Mother

Friday, November 23, 2012

Back in the Saddle

I think we'll go with "no rest for the weary" over "no rest for the wicked".
'Cause there's no way Keanut is wicked.  But oh, is he weary.
I know he just had a major dose of Chemo on Monday (one kind in his spine, two kinds in his port).
And today, they hit him again.
This time, with a new drug... Pegaspargase.
Here's Penny (I like to call her the Queen of the Chemo suite) getting Kean set up for his dose.
Don't you love how the nurses have to gown and glove up to administer this "poison" that is
supposed to make him better?
 Instead of getting another duck (each time they stick a needle in his chest), Penny gave him this cute bear today.
We've decided to name him Pokey.
Today's Chemo was quite the marathon.
The drug itself took an hour to administer.
Then Kean had to be watched for another two hours and have his vitals taken.
So let's just say we kept pretty busy trying to keep Mister Miserable entertained.
Today's Chemo date was my friend Kim Dumas.
 She certainly earned her stripes.
We sang songs, played with toys, watched a movie, splashed in the sink,
danced, spent almost an hour with Stephanie, the Music Therapist
listening to the guitar, singing and playing instruments and finally, we
fed him everything we could think of.
Remember, Keanut is back on Steroids.
We ordered pizza, mashed potatoes, fed Kean two bags of chips,
crackers, cookies, jello, juice, milk and phew, I think that was it.
And guess, what?
We get to go back on Monday for more Chemo and do it all over again!
As expected, Boy Wonder was Boy Pooped Out by the time we
got home and evening rolled around. 
 We knew this Phase 4 would be rough.  And it is.
But I am trying to keep focusing on the positive... and one of those
big positives is the fact we are home and not in the hospital.
And that we got to spend Thanksgiving with my folks, my grandmother and my brother Doug, his wife, Dana
and kids, Dana's parents and Melissa (Dana's best friend).
 As always, (and I think as required for the date), we ate way too much.
We thoroughly enjoyed each other...
and other than Kean being on and off miserable... it was a wonderful day.
My favorite part was what I hope becomes a new tradition.
Greer had each of us write on a card one thing we are grateful for this year.
She put them in a hat, drew them out one by one and had us guess the author.
I love how the Thanksgiving holiday makes us pause and ponder
what we are truly thankful for-- and then that full heart that comes
from being thankful, always makes us want to give and share our blessings with others.
I don't think Thanksgiving could have a more appropriate name.

0 comments: