Reincarnated As A Mother

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Wow... what a crazy day...

Whoosh. I'm glad today is winding down. Life is never dull these days. I'll hit a few highlights. Kean was great today (again). A little sleepy for his second feeding, but still doing great. Plus, it's always fun to give him a bath. He also got a new roommate again. He had a new one yesterday afternoon-- she was gone when I got there today and another little girl in her place. When I arrived at the room this morning, it was curtained off and had a no entry sign-- saying a sterile procedure was in progress. I about had heart failure-- until one of the docs noticed my look of shock and said it wasn't my baby-- but the other one. I guess, we've already had a few of those so it's someone else's poor baby's turn.
Kean's new roommate was born a week after Kean (but 3 months early). She was only 2 something pounds and was doing great until this week. She now has pneumonia and is in critical condition. They put her in the same room with Kean-- since he is so stable-- the nurse won't be overwhelmed. The little girl baby was just adopted by a couple from Utah-- the birth parents are teenagers (shocking) and the adopted mom teaches at BYU, the father is getting his master's (in ballroom dance). I feel for them. And it made me appreciate "my" rollercoaster.
Dr. Snyder (the head of NICU) announced today that as of Friday night at midnight, the NICU will be closed and off limits to anyone under 18. Evidently, there are several children already hospitalized with H1N1-- so they are being proactive and shutting out all the little germ factories. Little Miss Smarty Pants (that would be me) piped up to ask him what that means to all the 14 and 15 year old parents I keep seeing in the NICU. I guess there will be exceptions. He also said in the next week or two, they expect to close it off to everyone except parents. That means no grandparents, aunts, uncles -- anyone and no exceptions in that area. Crazy times!
So I came home to Greer getting off the bus (after falling into a dead sleep on the bus) with a fever of 100.3 and complaining of aching everywhere. Ug. No, double Ug. The NICU doc told me if she isn't better tomorrow morning, I need to stay home and have her tested for the Swine Flu. Oh, isn't life fun?
The NICU doctor I just mentioned, called the house tonight to tell me they'd just done the math and Kean has taken 80 percent of his feedings by bottle yesterday and today-- a major improvement and she thinks we should try rooming in -- in the next day or two. WHAT???? Just the day before yesterday they cancelled my rooming in and said 2 more weeks. So, ladies and gentlemen, I don't know what to expect in the next few days. Would I sound paranoid to say there is a conspiracy to drive me insane? I'm not even getting my hopes up-- I'm just numb. I'll believe it all when it's happening.

5 comments:

Chuck said...

I would have said the same thing "Smarty Pants". I laughed out loud at that one.

Cindy said...

Ok, so the roller coaster ride continues. You and Byron can do this. It has a purpose and it will have an end point.
Love you,
Cindy

The Good Life on Less! said...

Your last line about being numb made me laugh ... I think I've spent most of my "parenting" years numb ... and I don't have near your excuse!

Wow, they seem pretty serious about the flu!

Blakeley said...

Oh, I hope, I hope, I hope! We'll keep praying for you. Way to go, Kean, on the eating! What a man!

Mama of 2 Hapas said...

Perhaps being numb is the best way to survive right now! Sounds like there are too many chiefs in the NICU!