Reincarnated As A Mother

Friday, September 11, 2009

Still Moving Forward...

So maybe I'd better clarify a few things. The car seat test-- is not a test to see if we know how to buckle the little one in... it's actually a test where they will put Kean in the car seat and monitor him for an hour to see if he can handle being in an upright position. When you are dealing with a Premie... the change in position and gravity on the neck will sometimes impede their Oxygen flow.
As for rooming in... yes, I've had enough of St. Luke's. In fact, I'm still waiting for them to name a wing after me (ha, ha). But they have three rooms in the NICU unit that are supposedly very much like a hotel room (TV, DVD, full size bed, fridge, alarm clock etc.). The nurses will weigh Kean before we "room in" and then weigh him afterwords. Hopefully, hopefully, hopefully, he will gain weight and not lose it. It's all about seeing if he will thrive in my care alone. So kick in those prayers on Tuesday, Ladies and Gentlemen.
We did have a good day today. No crises. Kean is getting more and more awake and trying so darn hard to breast feed. His Down's is getting in the way of that a bit. When he latches on, he pulls his tongue back a tad and about kills me. So we try and try again. It will just take some more time. But he's doing okay. I, however, am about ready to slice my breasts off. What we women go through for these little babies.

2 comments:

Diane said...

Glad to hear about forward progress. One day at a time! Will keep you in my prayers.

Marti said...

This is so interesting!

I assumed that the "preemie in a carseat" test was to evaluate whether he could actually be protected in a carseat because he is still so tiny.

Good luck on getting him home sooner rather than later. I'll be praying...