Reincarnated As A Mother

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

The Doctor's Update (and a little bonus)

Dr. Chang (the Pediatric Oncologist) just called the house after examining Kean. She says there is a long list of what the mass could be-- but she suspects its a "fat collection" and says it is highly unlikely that it is malignant.
There are some very rare tumors that are found on the liver (less than 1%) that are problematic, so she wants to watch this closely. But it looks like we've dodged the bullet for now. She only wants to do a series of urine and blood tests to rule out what is known as a Teratoma (spelling?)-- that's a mass that grows teeth and other stuff in it-- that would have to be removed. She suspects and hopes it is what is called a Lypoma (benign fat tissues)-- but she says this is a pretty unusual place for a Lypoma. So she wants to do an Ultrasound in 3 months and another MRI in 6 months. Dr. Chang says to biopsy or take the tumor out would be too big of a surgery for such a little guy-- so she just wants to watch it. I'm okay with that. A surgery would just prolong the NICU stay-- and I WANT HIM HOME!!! Am I sounding desperate yet?
One final and very positive note: Dr. Chang said other than the Down's, Kean seems to be in good health for being a premie. So we continue moving forward...


Oh, I also just HAD to share this with you. My dear, darling friend Les Rose (one of my favorite photojournalists from my days at CBS) wrote this poem for me yesterday. What makes it even funnier... is that he sent the first half out and then my other wonderful friend, Dave Wertheimer (who was my photojournalist from my days in North Carolina) commented that Les had not covered the Jewish faith-- hence the second half of the poem. I posted it, because I want to keep it forever! Enjoy-- and I hope it makes you smile, like it did me!

"You know we really adore you and your whole darn gang.
We'd give you our hearts and soul
or even a cool Mustang.
Hang in there pal, I know it can really stink...
So take those hugs from your girls that are pretty in pink.
So many are praying for ya'll...folks cannot resist,
We even got a few on your fence that swing atheist.
Methodists, Lutherns and Episcopals are praying too...
The wagons are circled so you won't feel blue.
I will come and visit when you need a laugh and a smile,
Just pick up the phone and Delta I will dial!

I now have so much guilt,more intense than I have recently felt.
For not directly including my friends with the Star
Nor have I included Buddah, Islam or Secular.
Forgive me, but I have missed some and I regret it...
But we are all cheering on Ms. Lonni Leavitt!"

3 comments:

The Good Life on Less! said...

Very cute poem ... and of course, glad Kean doesn't have to undergo a liver biopsy right now. The kid needs a rest! :)

Sherri said...

Glad the doc thinks Kean is doing good.

Love the poem... especially glad the atheist are praying for you. :)

JMH said...

As Les's sister in law, and Michele's sister, I can say that I am one of those praying and that I love the poem :)