Reincarnated As A Mother

Saturday, September 26, 2009

Looks like we dodged that one...

First off, let me address the flu issue. I'm feeling much better today. With my mom here and Bryon finally feeling "mostly" better, I was able to get in some good naps. So, let's hope I will escape what hit Byron so hard and for so long. (Of course, if you know Byron, he doesn't know how to go to bed, be sick and get better-- until he's forced to. That's probably why he was sick for a full week).
It is absolutely WONDERFUL having Kean home. Reese is my big helper. She's "diaper girl", "lullaby girl" and "bath assistant". Here she is all proud as a peacock after giving Kean his first bath at home.
Obviously, Kean loved his bath. Here's his day: sleep, eat, poop, sleep, eat, poop, etc. He's pretty kicked back and rarely cries. And I'm certain, he doesn't quite know what to make of all the noise and constant blurs of his sisters running around.

He's had a busy few days at home. His monitors are a joke! He's only had one "actual" breathing episode-- and he kicked himself right back up. So no biggie. However, the monitors have gone off many, many times (mostly in the middle of the night) where he has pulled off the leads (sensors) or the battery is low or something else rather stupid. I securely taped on his new set of leads and haven't had a problem since. So we're learning.
This is Nancy, the home health nurse assigned to visit our home regularly to, I guess, make sure I haven't ruined him or something.
His bassinet, for now, is in my closet. Don't laugh, it's close and quiet. And it's beautiful. Ron and Elly made if for their son Mark (who is now 15)!!
Anyway, Nancy said he's gained weight and looks fabulous. So she's not coming back until next Wednesday. That was on Thursday. Stacy and Elly came over and cleaned my house while I took care of Reese and Kean and tried to get a nap. They are such incredible friends, even though I felt pretty silly letting them clean.
I took him to the Doctor on Friday. Once again, he was a super star. Dr. Sandstrom, my pediatrician, thought he looked wonderful. He has a clogged tear duct, so bring on the pirate eye-- (Holland had the same thing). She said he had decent sized ear canals-- which is great news. Most Down's babies have such small ear canals you can never tell if they have an ear infection-- but she could see through his. So yippee.
And we had our first visit from his Occupational Therapist, Libby. She also, thought his tone and progress was pretty darn good. She'll return next week.
And then, as you know, my mom arrived. Big sigh.
He's scheduled for his circumcision Monday morn. I know I can do this!
How funny to think when I first found out I was expecting a boy, I thought, uh, how am I ever going to handle him getting circumcised. Now after all he's been through, this hopefully, will be no big deal.

5 comments:

Melissa Snyder said...

I am so thankful that all is well. Having him home has to be the greatest thing ever. I am so glad that you are all adjustin and that Kean is doing so well.
Is Dr. Sandstrom at the Pediatrics and Adolescants on Discovery? My kids go to her and we LOVE her!
I need to come over and give Kean his gift, visit with you and meet this amazing little guy I have read and read so much about.
Hope you are doing well too. You look fabulous. I am glad your mom is back. That is nice.
I hope Byron gets feeling better. When Lance gets sick, he gets really sick too. I think men are that way.
See you soon. I will call you or see you at church.
Love ya!

The Good Life on Less! said...

He looks so peaceful. Love it! I feel bad for his upcoming snip. With our youngest ... he got a staph (sp?) infection on his bottom. I think it was because Hubbbie always took the "snip" personally & we put on so much vaseline in the area, that we might have contributed to the infection! Eeek!

Oh the craziness of parenthood!

Love ya!

Stace

Mama of 2 Hapas said...

We decided against circumcision. I just didn't see the point, and fortunately, we've had no problems. I'm so glad he's at home. Not only easier not having to go to the hospital every day, but I'm sure it will make him thrive even more! There truly is nothing like home!

Anita said...

I'm so happy to hear that Kean is settling in at home. All the reports sound good -- even your tone sounds a little better. It finally feels like you are making progress. The hospital stuff is behind you now. Did you ever belive that could happen? You are still in our thoughts and prayers.

Lots of love!

Shellee said...

Don't worry too much about the circumcision. They use such awesome numbing agents to help the little guys along. Both of my boys slept through theirs. Good luck and get a bunch of vaseline before then, it's a huge help.