Reincarnated As A Mother

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Let there be light at the end of the tunnel...

I have some potentially huge news to report today. The NICU doctor talked with me this afternoon about an exit strategy for Kean. Yup, you read that right... a plan to get him home!!!
The doc said they don't like to send babies home on a feeding tube and oxygen but they do it sometimes and find the babies do better at home. So here's our plan. They will see how he does this weekend without oxygen-- he's on the lowest of flow-- so keep your fingers crossed. Then Monday night, Byron and I are supposed to take an Infant CPR class (required to take him home). Tuesday, they want me to spend the night at the hospital. They are going to take his feeding tube out and see how he does with just me! I'll room in - in a room in the Intensive Care unit and wake up every three hours to feed him. Kean will be on monitors that the nurses will keep track of from a desk outside the room. So here's our big first test. I'm very excited and hopeful and trying, oh trying not to get my hopes too high. We have to pass a car seat test and a few other hurdles... but this is big. I might get him home in this lifetime after all.

8 comments:

Melissa Snyder said...

Hooooorrrraaayyyyy! That is huge news! I hope all goes well. I am keeping my fingers crossed. We put your name in the temple the other day. He is such a fighter. He is just going to love being home. Can't wait to really meet him!

Carlie Pennington said...

Lonni, we are so excited for you. You and your sweet little ones are in our prayers.

The Good Life on Less! said...

"Room-in?" Just in case you haven't gotten enough of that place, come "room-in." I know, I know, this is a GOOD thing! :) I'm happy for you!

Blakeley said...

Yay, good news! I so hope that these little "tests" go well for Kean and that you can get your little sweetie home soon.

karen said...

car seat test? They must be worried that you, a veteran mother of three, doesn't know how to put an infant correctly in a car set? Or Byron has to take a test as to how to correctly install the carseat in the minivan? My brows are furrowed in confusion. ???

But yay!!!!!

Joseph and Kamber said...

Oh, hoping, Hoping!

Mama of 2 Hapas said...

::fingers crossed::

Anita said...

So nice to have something to look forward to, instead of the other way around. Keep hanging in there. This will happen!