Reincarnated As A Mother

Monday, September 7, 2009

4 Weeks in NICU

Four weeks in Intensive Care has a bright side-- it means today Kean is four weeks old. Wow... even though each day feels like an eternity, I can't believe he is already 4 weeks. My exhausted mind must be playing tricks on me.
I actually had a really nice day today. Pam, the nurse who felt like he should be named Nathan, was our nurse again. I love her. Plus, my dear friend, Kim Leach came up and spent the day with me. So I was surrounded by pure kindness today. Kean was as cute as ever. And we seemed to make some decent progress today on his "breast feeding therapy".
Tonight, we (my family at home) went over to Sally and Jonathan's house for a Labor Day BBQ. It was so fun and very relaxing. Just what I think we all needed.
Tomorrow, Reese has her first day of Preschool. Excited doesn't begin to capture it.
Oh, the word I couldn't remember last night: hemangeanoma (I'm sure I butchered the spelling). That's what we are hoping for in the ultrasound tomorrow. It's a mass or cluster of blood vessels that the doctors will just watch and hope it will eventually dissolve on its own.

5 comments:

Blakeley said...

Lonni, thanks so much for spending time with me today. I didn't mean to get teary-eyed, but it was just touching for me to have a little glimpse of the sweet interaction that you and Kean share. Babies are all so precious, but Kean just has such a sweet little spirit. Plus, I know that you've had your share of headaches, disappointments, and even heartaches lately, but you are so tender with your son. I know you're dog tired and are pretty darn sore, too, but with Kean you are so patient, encouraging and nurturing. It's such a sweet exchange, and as I watched you with Kean I thought how much Heavenly Father must love your little son to send him to a mother like you who will love him unconditionally and who will be his biggest cheerleader. Come what may tomorrow, he has you and you have him and all will be well. The only problem with today was that it reminded me that I no longer have any of those sweet little babies of my own to hold. Of course, I still make my growing kids snuggle with me, but it's not quite the same thing. Thanks for letting me hold your little cutie so I could get my "baby fix". Eric will be much happier with this option! Love you!

Cindy said...

Prayers for another medical miracle tomorrow.

Diane said...

Wow, is what I am thinking to 4 weeks. It doesn't seem like that long.

We went on a mountain retreat and survived without the Internet, cell phones or television.

So, I missed the latest development. Sounds like it will all work itself out. Keep having faith.

Mama of 2 Hapas said...

We're praying the MRI will be good news today!

Kim Worthen said...

Just got your blog from Elly. Had asked her how you all were doing. Oh, Kean is adorable. Your kids remind me of ours. Nothing but LOVE for their new brother. You are lucky they get to go in. Ours were at the season of RSV so no one but Mom and Dad could hold him. Glad you have Dan. He helped us a great deal. NICU is so great that it's there but it makes it hard between home and hospital. You look like you are managing quite well. It's a great feeling when they let you know you can take him home. Spencer was in NICU for 42 days and came home with quite a few pieces of hospital equipment. I did have to learn to put in the feeding tube but oh to have him home...Hope that day comes soon for you. You are doing awesome!!!
Same thing happened to me with the fast and testimony meeting. And you are right it will come!!!