Reincarnated As A Mother

Friday, September 18, 2009

The Roller Coaster is on the Up...

Guess what???? Kean got his feeding tube out today. Wow-- a cute face with no tape!!! This is wonderful news. I'll take a camera up tomorrow. You won't recognize him. Plus, he's getting cute, yummy, chubby cheeks. He's now at 6lbs and 4oz. That's exactly 2 pounds over his birth weight. And he did fabulous today. I'm all set to room in tomorrow night (Saturday onto Sunday). So that will be the true test. But I can say, things are clicking for Mister Miracle-- and I'll be shocked if we are not taking him home sometime in the first part of next week. I'm not getting my hopes up-- but he is a superstar. Plus, c'mon people, nearly 6 weeks in the NICU is long enough. He's earned it.
Perfect timing too. Tonight they are officially shutting down the NICU to everyone EXCEPT parents and grandparents. There was a huge, pro-football looking security guard stationed at the first entrance to NICU today. I jokingly asked him if he was there to keep all the little germy kids out. He said they had a man (father perhaps) threaten to take his baby out of there. Oh, the daily drama. Mark my words... one of these days we'll see Hollywood set a NICU unit as it's backdrop for some new hour long drama. I could help them with countless storylines! Maybe that's my way to pay off the growing set of hospital bills. I could put screenwriter on my resume just under professional hospital hanger-on-er.
Greer update: A few hours after moaning and groaning on the couch and a dose of Tylenol, she was running around. She had no fever during the night and was fine this morning. She begged to go to school. So she did. The head of NICU had to give me the okay to come in-- but only if I wore a face mask. They aren't messing around with this flu stuff, are they?

6 comments:

Anita said...

So great to hear the positive news! Have fun at your sleepover. Can't wait to hear how it goes.

Blakeley said...

Wow, Lonni--all such great news!! Yahoooo! It's amazing how quickly Kean turned that corner. I really hope your sleepover goes well. I can't wait until you get him home and he will continue to get even more chubby and more "yummy". He's a cutie!

Melissa Snyder said...

Horray for Kean! Way to go. I will be thinking about you all night tomorrow night. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it goes well. Yey, I am so glad they took the feeding tube out. What great news! Can't wait to see pictures of him.
Sorry to hear about all this flu junk that is going on. Hate to take my kids anywhere with all the scary stuff going on. Lov ya!

Marti said...

Wow! That's all such great news! Totally amazing what a weighty little guy you've got there. Good luck on the rooming in.

And Lonni, don't forget to have Byron stop out at Costco for a barrel of hand sanitizer. ;)

karen said...

slumber parties are so much fun! don't forget to bring your mani/pedi stuff and your cutest jammies/popcorn/copy of Teen Beat magazine.

Kean will be impressed.

so happy you're not dealing with Swine Flu.

Mama of 2 Hapas said...

::fingers crossed::