Reincarnated As A Mother

Sunday, September 2, 2012

The Hunger Strike Continues

I suppose trying to find the positive-- that it is better to go to the hospital three times in one week for IV's than have to stay at the hospital all week.  Yes,you guessed right; Keanut is still on a hunger strike. 
Our quiet Sunday afternoon was spent in the not so quiet E.R.
 Kean got a "booster" IV - one that will get us through to Tuesday morning... where barring a miracle
(which would be Kean suddenly decides to eat and drink) we will head back for tube feeding.
Kean had a NG tube when he was a premie... I can't imagine at this age, he will cooperate with
a tube snaking down his nose to his stomach.  I expect fun times in the future.
Today's E.R. visit was much shorter than earlier in the week, we were only there four hours.
So with all the time on my hands, I did snap a pic of Kean's sweet comb-over.  He's getting quite bald in the back but hanging on tight to the top and sides.
 The boy was happy, smiling and always charming up until the last hour when I think he just
got plum tired out.  Wish I could've joined him on the bed.
 His port and incision looked all red and icky (my term, not theirs) so the nurse took a marker and drew
a circle around the red area and told me to bring him in again if it spreads beyond that or if he gets a fever.
I think his skin was just agitated from the numbing cream because by the time we got him ready for bed, it looked
much better. Phew. Another bullet dodged.
 
One final note, since my mom is off gallivanting around the world (in Russia right now), Byron went and picked
up my father to have dinner with them. 
Of course, Reese took advantage of his full belly and lowered defenses and "fixed" his hair.
He's such a good sport.

1 comments:

Steven Swihart said...

It will all get better, but until then, all you are feeling is normal. In fact, I would question you if you didn't feel frustrated. You can always call here to the Onc floor for suggestions or an ear. Prayers for you and your family and Keanut's appetite.