Reincarnated As A Mother

Friday, September 21, 2012

Food For Thought

Let's talk turkey and lasagna and pizza and everything else under the sun.
If you've followed this blog, you know that getting Kean to eat has been
quite the drama. 
We narrowly avoided the feeding tube (the doctor said "for now")...
and now he will eat if-- and that's a big if ... I can just figure out what
in the world he wants.
Some days he gobbles up eggs and cheese.
Other days he will spit them out after only one bite -- usually at Reese because she sits next to him.
And poor Reese has become so used to it, she hardly whines at all.
So back to Kean. 
The docs have him on a high calorie, high fat diet.
I assume it is because the forecasted sores coming to his mouth will cut down on his eating
or the next phase will be tough to keep weight on him.
Who knows... but they've had me meet a few times with Dietitians and have given me instructions
and recipes that you swear come from some greasy spoon in the South.
I'll cook him eggs in butter and smother them in cheddar cheese
or I'll make him a milk shake with ice cream, fresh fruit and added whole cream--
none of that half and half stuff.
And here's the problem.
And it's a big one.
Much of the time, he'll take a few bites
and of course, since I've gone to all this work to make such a wicked creation...
I can't stand to let it got to waste
(plus darn it, it's just so good)...
So guess who's gaining weight?
Arghhh!
I thought you'd enjoy today's pictures.
Quite often Byron and his brother, Craig will
stop in to eat lunch.
Kean has become quite obsessed with Uncle Craig's lunch cooler.

 Who can blame him.
Aren't most kids wired to like every body's lunch but their own?


0 comments: