Reincarnated As A Mother

Friday, April 12, 2013

Ick, Ug and Yuck

Is there a word in the English language that means way more than exhausted?
Kean has had one heck of a rough day.
He has cried and whined for oh, about ten hours (with a few breaks to recharge).
He doesn't have a fever and I can't see any mouth sores.
But I do know one of the Chemo drugs he got on Tuesday causes jaw pain.
He's been grinding his teeth like nobody's business.
So perhaps that's the culprit.
 It got so bad today, I took him out for a walk thinking the chance to be outside would cheer him.
Nope.  We turned around after a short jaunt.
I came back, called the doc and while I waited for the return call, I opened a package
from my childhood best friend, April.
She had heard this mom interviewed on NPR yesterday about how she had
learned to cook specifically for her son's mouth sores, Neutropenia, constipation
and all the other lovely side effects that come with Cancer and Chemo.
She ordered the book yesterday and look what showed up today.
 Can we all say "perfect timing"?
I opened it up and while Kean sputtered unhappily on the couch, I whipped
up a strawberry, blueberry, honey yogurt smoothie.
 And voila... not only did he love it and drink most of it,
he stopped crying and was actually happy for a little while.
Talk about perfect timing.
His Cancer doctor called back and wanted me to bring him in
to check him over since he seemed so off.
Since he was finally feeling a bit better, I won out to let him
stay home and take a nap.
He was somewhat better after his shortened nap (dang Steroids)...
so we dodged the bullet for now.
No hospital trips today.
Nothing like being saved by a cookbook or a smoothie.
Either way, I'll take it!

1 comments:

Stacy said...

Wow that's just amazing. It's the seemingly small things in life that really matter. What a great friend!