Reincarnated As A Mother

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

We Are Outta Here!

I often so snidely refer to the hospital as the Hotel California.
Since it seems once we get in there, something always pops up to keep us from leaving.
But guess what???
Today, we left on time.
Early in fact.
Kean's Ultrasound did show his left testicle has gone back up but it looks
normal sized and the blood flow is fine.
So Dr. Meeker said we will keep an eye on things and if it doesn't descend
he gets to have surgery to "tack it down".
Dr. Meeker said if it is left where it is, he is at a much higher risk for Testicular Cancer.
And heaven knows, we don't need to deal with any more Cancer.
However, they won't do anything until after September 13, 2015-- the date we are
finished with Chemotherapy for his Leukemia.
Yes, you read that right... we finally have an end date and thank heavens for
small miracles-- that date is set in stone-- regardless of whether or not he gets sick
or has horribly low counts and has to delay Chemo.  He is done, fini and over
with Chemo on that date.  (Mark your calendars-- we plan to have one massive
mother of all parties and if you are reading this, you are likely invited)!
Before we checked out today, Kean got to go down to the playroom
and have the run of the room.
He had a grand time pulling out toys and throwing cars.
Other than being tired and not eating well, you'd never know his body
had been firebombed with so much Chemo yesterday and today.

He had another dose today (the ARAC) through his port.
He is scheduled for two more days of that... so we got sent home
with his port still accessed and a home health nurse will be coming to the house
tomorrow to show me how to give him Chemo at home.
He also gets an oral Chemo tonight and nightly for the next two
weeks.  I told you they were throwing everything at this kiddo during
this fourth phase.  And what is really insane is Dr. Meeker
told me since Down's kids are considered so fragile, they back off
on some of the Chemo treatments.  I can't imagine any
body-- Down's or not, having more than what he has
put into his little body.
I hit a Mexican food drive through on the way home for
his enchiladas, rice and beans-- forget milkshakes.
And he gobbled down a decent lunch.
Perhaps it is the hospital food he's grown tired of.
Me too.  If I had an ounce of talent, I'd write an ode
to my bed right about now.  I just got up from a little nap... and can I
just tell you how thankful I am for a soft, warm, quiet bed.
 Sleep was more than a bit elusive last night.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad you get to be at home. Enjoy your bed. I can't wait to come to the party! ;)

Erin and JR said...

I found your blog through Emily Nielsen. You have a beautiful family and the incredible spirit and courage you all show is so inspiring! I just wanted to tell you that there is another voice sending positive thoughts and prayers out into the universe for your amazing Kean.