Reincarnated As A Mother

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Falling Down... again.

And here I thought we had dodged the bullet.
Nope.
Kean woke up at 1 a.m. sounding like a seal barking and having a hard time breathing.
A call to the Oncologist sent us downtown to the hospital instead of an emergency room much closer.
She told us to pack a bag and plan to stay since Kean's counts have been so low.
So off we went.
Which was an adventure in itself.
We left in the middle of what can best be described as an ice storm.
It was so bad, I had to keep pulling over to scrape my frozen over windshield
(even though I had my wipers and defrost going full blast).
On the second time I pulled over, a police officer pulled up behind me.
He ended up helping me scrape my windows and giving Kean a teddy bear.
The streets leading to downtown were pretty sparse but  the other cars
were having to do the same thing.
I just happened to have a very nice officer following me, stopping with me
and helping me clean off my window.
It was still very stressful and by the time I made it through the slick streets to the E.R.,
I was ready for them to admit me alongside Kean!
Poor little guy.
He has Croup.
They put a catheter in him, accessed his port, drew blood, x-rayed his chest and lungs,
gave him a breathing treatment and a shot of steroids.
This is what he sounded like after all the treatment!

Now for the shocking news.
His counts have gone up.
He is no longer in the danger zone... so drum roll please...
they let us go home.
We got home after a slippery ride but not nearly as harrowing as the drive there.
We were both in bed by 6 a.m.
and let me tell you how grateful we are for modern meds.
This is him today.
 While grouchy... he looks and sounds almost normal.
And bonus... while many schools closed around here because of the icy driving conditions...
our girls did go.
Which translated into a quiet house
and a perfect place for a long nap.

0 comments: