Reincarnated As A Mother

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Grrrrrrrr

Oooohh, I'm in a snarky mood today. Funny, how one thing can set me off! Byron told me this morning that last week at church a woman said: "What's up with your baby? How come you don't bring him to church when your wife has been spotted at Costco and the mall with him?"
So, allow me to vent for a moment!
I'd love for her to try and be stuck at home for six months straight on doctor's orders.
Yes, I've been to Costco twice. Yes, we took him to the mall twice. Heck, I've even taken him grocery shopping a couple of times and out to dinner! Gasp!!!
It was either that or check myself into the insane asylum.
Sometimes, errands just need to get done. And I already feel stupid asking for friends to come help babysit.
Plus, not that I need to explain myself, but I will-- taking him somewhere like the store where he is in his car seat and not going to be touched and oogled by people is one thing.
To sit in church for a few hours, surrounded by many, many people that we love-- I'd be stressed to the moon, listening (like I do most Sundays) to people coughing and then wanting to come up and see Kean.
Each week his therapists and Pediatrician give me a run down of how many babies they're seeing with RSV this year.
Okay, I'm done and I feel much better.
P.S. I'm staying home from church today (which is probably a good thing). Our Sunday babysitter, Dawn is heading back East. Her daughter is about to have twins. We'll miss her.

11 comments:

Darlene said...

Lonni, how many times I have been through a similar experience. Especially when Todd was dealing with AIDS and we couldn't tell people. All kinds of JUDGING going on. People are just ignorant to the facts. Judging seems to be what we do best. And as we all know, going out to Church can be the worst place to pick something up, because people THINK they have to come to Church, even if they have to drag themselves or their kids out with a fever and cough. I wonder if they ever think about, "love they neighbor" and don't bring thy flu, cold or virus and spread it around. My Mom actually had a Bishop that got up and announced over the pulpit to stay home if you were sick and not come out and infect everyone. I wish EVERY ward had that kind of Bishop. Good luck with that cute big guy and keep on keeping on. BTW, VENTING IS GOOD!

Marti said...

Geez, if I come up to Boise and go to Costco, I can see Kean?

Sheesh, Lonni, I went on Friday and all I saw was a Senator from Arkansas who wouldn't let me take their picture because they didn't want it known they were in COSTCO.

Oh well. Seems like you have a good handle on it... or at least a good place to vent about annoying people. ;)

The Good Life on Less! said...

I always stayed away from church for three months with my kids. Too many people want to cuddle/hold the hands of new babies and since they know you, it's hard to run interference!

On the other hand, I started going to stores, etc. to run errands after 2 weeks. I would just put a blanket over the stroller to discourage unwanted touching ...

I totally get why going to church would be a complete disaster for Kean.

ps-we've gotten everything under the sun the last 6 weeks ... still to early to take him out! This week it's pink eye! Oh joy!

Tracey said...

Lonni,

Patience is a virtue..:) You have the most kindest heart I've ever experienced and know this must play on your heart strings. However, I think I know you well enough to know you just flash your smile and keep it to yourself.

Love,
Tracey

Mama of 2 Hapas said...

It's those kind of people that give organized religion a bad name, any religion. Like that kind of comment is going to make you want to attend church with him any sooner! Sheesh! :) Hopefully, venting here helped a bit!

CJ said...

This is the very reason that I loved my, oh what do you call those things anymore, my baby carrier that you strap on yourself? I had my sling at the Tempe Arts and Crafts festival forever ago and loved it because it not only covered up the baby, but gently and without words told people, "No touching".

You ARE allowed out of the house!


Love,

Charmen Johnson

Nick said...

I'm so with you on that one. While you were explaining I was thinking, "Yeah when they're in their carseat and you can cover them with a blanket it's not a big deal, but at church everyone wants to hold him with their snotty nose." When I did finally take him to church I had my sling that he slept in the entire time-so no touching. He got RSV at 3 weeks and had to be hospitalized for 4 days-just from brother loving on him, so you totally make sense. Some people don't think before they speak. Glad to hear he's doing well-or at least better-physically.

Whitney said...

I think other people forget that their baby's health should be #1. I hyperventilate when I see Mom's bring their babies to church before 6 weeks. I had my babe in July (no real risk of RSV) and I still took my 6 weeks! No need to explain. People who make those sorts of comments, I've gathered, are generally not very smart. Wish I could be there to help babysit! Your kids are A-dorable!

Tracey said...

Lonni,

This Blog keeps you sane...keep it up girl!

Love,

Tracey

Sherri said...

This person must have grown children. How quickly people forget how germy church is. Do people not know that they can keep their kids home when sick? Plez spare us all your germs!!! Ok now I'm venting!

Shellee said...

I"m with you. Keep him home from church. At least at Costco, you can run away from people.