Reincarnated As A Mother

Thursday, April 1, 2010

A Big Day for a Little Guy

My email has been hit by a virus-- so I'm dealing with computer problems. But I did want to give ya'll a little update.
I spent 3-- count 'em -- 3 hours yesterday at the Pediatric Opthamalogist's office with Kean. In fact, I watched most of Monsters Inc. and half of Ratatouille on the TV monitor in the waiting room-- if that gives you any idea of the waaaaaiiiiittttttiiiinnnnnggggg.
Dr. Lee dilated his eyes, ran several tests and basically just wants to keep an "eye" on the Nystagmus (the jittery eyeball condition). She thinks its just related to his Down Syndrome and nothing else is causing it. Dr. Lee said it should lessen with age and most children with the condition will learn to compensate. For example, Nystagmus is usually worse when looking in certain directions. So kids with it will tilt their heads or look sideways etc. so as not to have the shaky eyes to try to focus with. We don't go back for another 6 months.
But..... while we were there, she took a look at his clogged tear ducts (and since he's fighting some congestion, his eyes looked pretty darn goopy yesterday). Typically, most clogged tear ducts have cleared up by this age, so she gave me three options: keep waiting (which means daily warm washcloth eye baths to "un glue" his lashes and continue with the eye medicine), surgery in a few months to put a stint in his ducts (all I could think of is how hard it is to get an IV in the poor little guy), or try a procedure in the office where she numbs his eyes, straps him down a' la papoose style and sticks a wire down each duct then flushes them out with saline.
I opted for the in office probe-- and we did it yesterday. I had to leave the room when they put him in the papoose (my choice-- I'm a wimp). I could hear him screaming clear down the hall. But thankfully, it only lasted about 7 minutes.
And drum roll please.........
He woke up this morning (I think the first morning ever)... without his eyes full of goop. Keep your fingers crossed everyone that this easy fix will be just that!

2 comments:

Chuck said...

I don't know how you can stand all of these doctor visits. I can't even get the nerve to take my cat to the vet. My dad has to do it for me. I can't stand doctors, hospitals or needles.

Mama of 2 Hapas said...

Ryan sees Dr. Lee. We always wait a long time, too. They need to schedule more for patients, less for profit. But she's nice.