Reincarnated As A Mother

Sunday, April 4, 2010

An Easter Reminder

My friend, Marcie gave us "the Twelve Days of Easter". Each day, the girls open an egg to find a scripture from the New Testament and an object (a tiny cross made out of toothpicks, 3 dimes to represent the money Judas accepted, a rock to represent the stone covering the tomb etc.). The other night, we opened this egg. Inside was a portion of a thorny rose bush to remind us of the crown of thorns plaited for the Savior's head. We read the accompanying scripture and talked about how Jesus was mocked and treated with such cruelty.

Next thing I know, Greer had run into the other room and was sobbing. My little tender hearted sweetie was so distraught over the thought of Jesus suffering and people being "so mean". What child-like faith and insight. A window was opened, so we talked about why He suffered for us and how we can someday live together in His presence because of that supreme sacrifice. It was a pretty simplistic explanation on my part to the little girls. However, I walked away with such gratitude for Greer's soft heart and for a moment in life when my child became my teacher.

2 comments:

@jenhalloran said...

What a wonderful idea -- and such a touching outcome. I love the idea of working in a spiritual Easter message with the surprise factor of opening the eggs.

I realize we're getting a little 'long in the tooth' for such things around here, but I'd love to get more info on the items/scriptures to pass along to my siblings with little ones. Did your friend come up with it herself or is the info available online?

@jenhalloran said...

Actually...think I may have found something just like it here: http://www.annieshomepage.com/eastereggs.html.

P.S. Looking forward to Kean's blessing photos!