Reincarnated As A Mother

Monday, May 16, 2011

Tickling the Ivories

If you haven't had the pleasure of sitting through a nearly 3 hour
recital of your children and a gazillion other children plodding through
their piano (or cello or guitar or recorder or....), then clearly
you haven't lived.
Obviously, the highlights for us were our children's performances (duh)/
Here's Greer singing Do Re Mi...
 and Holland playing two numbers...
 The girls' piano/voice teacher, Shaleese also performed.
Let's just say, she was a far cry better than the students.
She truly stole the show!  Watch for her name in lights someday.
 The girls each played the piano...
 and sang a solo.  They are much braver than I. *
 Once they were done with their parts... they (and several other children)
escaped to the great outdoors.  So wish we could've joined them...
 There was even a cute baby goat to play with...
(so let's see... 3 hour recital indoors vs. baby goat and toys outdoors? Hmmm)
 Kean loved the recital.
OK, really, he loved all the attention he got.
* I come from a very musical extended family.  When I was in college, I was asked to sing a duet at my cousin's missionary farewell in church.  We practiced and all was fine.  I have a pleasantly passable voice.  But come the morning of the performance, we went to do a final run through and I was so nervous, my voice was quavering out of control.
My Aunt (I won't name any names to protect her), gave me half a Valium.
And I have to say, the performance was a breeze-- no big deal.
But from then on, the joke in my family is that I have to be on drugs to sing in public.
Let's not tell Holland and Greer that story!

2 comments:

The Good Life on Less! said...

That is a very funny little story ... kind of like me and camping ... just doesn't work without the drugs! :)

Marti said...

I love that story! I don't think even drugs would help my voice, but it might help Kean get through it if I were to sing. ;)

(Yes, it is THAT bad!)