Reincarnated As A Mother

Thursday, March 3, 2011

My Warrior Aunt

 My Aunt Karyn was one amazing woman.
When she was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer, instead of becoming bitter, discouraged or playing the
'why me' game, she grew stronger, more faithful and more at peace with the life she lived here on earth and the future awaiting her.
She is one of 13 children.  I know, crazy-- but crazy good.
Our family is extremely close and I adore having so many aunts, uncles, cousins and 2nd cousins.
All of her living sisters and brothers converged in Afton, Wyoming last week for her funeral-- including my Aunt KLynn who flew in from Russia.
Many of us arrived a few days early to help out and to take care of all of the family flowers.
Several of my Aunties are pretty darn creative
(they used to decorate the Utah Governor's Mansion for the holidays).
Take a look at the casket spray they put together.
I swear, these pictures don't do it justice.
 We also prepared the room for the viewing.  They had family pictures everywhere. 
And I've never seen so many flowers and plants sent from friends, colleagues etc.
My Aunt Karyn sat on the school board and was a substitute teacher.  Her husband, my Uncle Bill is the head of the Wyoming National Guard, a city council member,
a retired special ed teacher and wrestling coach.
I think between the two of them, they know just about everyone in Wyoming.
 You can't see this very well, but this was one of the most touching arrangements.
The two little bird cages on the left of the picture were from my Aunt Karyn's grandchildren.
The green wind chimes hanging from the larger cage-- there's one for each of her 24 grand kids.
The two birds on the top of the cage have "Grandpa" and "Grandma" written on them.
Then my Aunts had each grandson and granddaughter sign their names on the cage.
 A couple of my Aunts made this heart wreath to be from Aunt Karyn's children.
Notice the six different bouquets of flowers to represent each of her six children.
 And this was my assignment.  Along with my much more talented, Aunt Tamara, we were given this egg box
to fill-- an arrangement from the Walker Family-- Aunt Karyn's siblings, nieces and nephews and mother.
 Finally, a couple of my Aunts put the red rose bouquet together from my Uncle Bill to his wife.
 This is so not a cute picture of me, but Kean, as always looks adorable.
He did great the entire trip and wanted to so badly be down on the floor rolling around.
 Here's my 92 year old Grandmother and her remaining 8 daughters.  My Aunt Karyn did not want an open casket for the public.  We just had a family private viewing. 
I'm pretty sure she'd come haunt me if I put a picture of her in the casket on this blog.
Either way, I wouldn't have.  I think casket pictures shouldn't be for public consumption.
But I do want you to know, I came home from her funeral inspired and wanting to be a better person.
I love you Aunt Karyn

1 comments:

The Good Life on Less! said...

Your mom's family is so cool. Just love them. They (as usual) did a great job with the decorating. Everyone looks at peace in the pictures which is wonderful ... the way it should be after living a great life.