Reincarnated As A Mother

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Things that go bump in the night...

What I would give for a string of solid nights of sleep with no interruptions. On Monday night we came home from the funeral service and got the kids right to bed.  Even Byron and I were in bed and asleep around 10!  At about 1:30 in the morning, I hear Reese get up and go into the bathroom.  But that was it.  Since I didn't hear anything else, I decided I'd better drag my ragged self out of bed and check on her.  As I walked down the hall toward her room, I was hit with the smell of rotten eggs.  I told her I'd be right back and headed down the stairs, where Holland, Greer and our dog, Zoe were sleeping.  The smell was much worse down there.  I turned on the kitchen light, and yep, just as suspected, our gas stove was on the light position.  Propane gas had been pouring out steadily for 4 HOURS!
I quickly turned it off, opened doors and turned on fans.  It was so bad, I woke up Byron and we went around and checked to make sure all of the children were still alive and conscious!  We figured Greer had hit the stove lighter with her foot and turned it on, when she had hopped up on the counter to get a glass for water right before she went to bed.  Yikes!  Neither Byron, nor I could sleep the rest of the night.
Then last night we had another "episode"... this one wasn't life threatening, however.  Reese and the girls had all gone to bed around 8:45.  It was now 10:30.  We thought they were all snug in their beds-- WRONG.  Byron and I were just getting ready to head upstairs when we heard Reese at the top of her lungs start yelling for Greer (they share a room and sleep barely 5 feet from each other-- if that).  We looked at each other, and wondered if she was having a nightmare.  Nope.  Reese had been awake the entire time-- playing while Greer was out cold.  When Reese finally decided it was time to go to bed, she called over to Greer to tell her goodnight.  When she didn't answer (HELLO-- she was in a dead sleep)-- Reese started yelling her name to get her attention!!!  
I swear, sometimes I wonder if she does these things on purpose to drive us crazy!

1 comments:

Hey it's Amy Benson said...

Wow! Lonni how scary!! I am so glad you guys are all okay :)