Reincarnated As A Mother

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Make-Up and Speaking Up

 You know when it's a little too quiet in the house and you know something is not right with the world?  The three girls had disappeared for a while and then suddenly came out with Reese in a new outfit, clip on earrings, a new do and lot of makeup.
As a family, we had quite the interesting experience last night. First the background:  our sweet friend, Mary Virginia Simplot Christensen passed away at age 86.  She is Mary K and Jeanie's mother.  When I was in the hospital last year, they visited me many, many times.  And I remember each time, Mary would sit and hold my hand.  She was kind, gentle and very loving.  This picture was taken of her last April on the day we blessed Kean.  There was something special between Kean and Mary.  She had a very soft spot for him.
Last night, a memorial service was held for Mary at the Holy Apostles Catholic Church.  Mary's daughters asked me, as part of the service to spend 5 or 10 minutes speaking about what I, as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Mormon) believe about what happens to a person after death.  My friend Ali, who is Muslim, spoke after I did.
I have to level with you, I haven't been that nervous in a long, long time.  I don't usually get nervous about public speaking-- but geez, combine talking about the very personal subject of religion with speaking in a massive Catholic Church -- I was capital A-fraid.
I ended my remarks by having my three girls come up and sing I Am A Child Of God.   They practiced and practiced and even though they said they were nervous too, they did a beautiful job.  It ended up being a very sweet experience.  But one I'm so very glad to have behind me!

0 comments: