Reincarnated As A Mother

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Prayers

Today turned out to be a rough one for little Reese. We got up this morning and her brand new goldfish (we just bought it 3 days ago) was floating in the bowl. So we had an impromptu funeral around the bigger bowl (the toilet) before school. After each of us talked about what a good fish Sparkle was, Reese said a very sweet little prayer. She asked Heavenly Father to be nice to Sparkle and to have fun with him.
Dinnertime turned out to be another memorable prayer time. Greer volunteered to give the blessing on the food because she was starving. She quickly launched into the prayer-- talking soo fast it was next to impossible to understand her. So we stopped her and had her start over--reminding her that she was talking to her Heavenly Father.
Well, lets just say, she took our words to heart. She prayed and prayed and prayed. She thanked the Lord for-- I think, just about everything. For the fish, for the applesauce my parents and I bottled this week, for the apples we got to pick, on and on and on-- she even thanked him for the pumpkin seeds we roasted. Holland started sighing. I started biting my cheeks, my tongue, my lips to keep from giggling out loud. It was priceless. Thankfully it ended before everything was completely cold or we had all passed away from hunger.
Sure wish you could've been there. Especially for part two of the dinner.
First, I must make this disclaimer. The picture following is not from tonight!!! The first clue should be that Reese is smiling.
Tonight we had squash for dinner. You know, that orange, butternut yummy kind? I even cooked it with butter and brown sugar. Byron liked it. I liked it. Greer liked it. But Holland didn't like it. And since Holland didn't like it, Reese decided she didn't like it either, before she even tasted it! I told her she had to have two bites before leaving the table.
Let's just say, I left the house an hour and a half later (and lots of crying and gnashing of teeth later) to go somewhere with my mom-- and Reese was still sitting at the table with her squash on her plate.
My sources tell me, she finally ate the squash.
Parents 1
Reese 0

3 comments:

Nick said...

We have one that "hates" everything I make, even if it's something he's had before and liked. I love when kids pray. They're so pure.

The Good Life on Less! said...

Too funny! That girl! Zack decided a while back that he didn't like jelly on his peanut butter & jelly sandwiches. Eli then decided he didn't like it either ... now Zack has seen the light and decided jelly is yummy, but Eli still thinks it's gross.

Britany said...

I love this. I had a moment just like it when I was about her age. It was applesauce. I just couldn't eat it. Three hours later -- yes, three -- my oldest sister finally dumped out the applesauce and told me not to tell mom. Maybe you should ask Byron if that is what really happened.