Reincarnated As A Mother

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Paging Sigmund Freud

Kean is still a bit on the grouchy side.
I'm hoping it is the ol' Steroids that should be getting out of his system one of these days.
He had speech therapy this morning with Claire 
and even though he put up quite the fight initially, he ended up 
dazzling.  What a boy.
Oh, and his eating is still sporadic.
I will say-- he is totally in to ice cream and....... 
pickles.
Go figure.
 One more thing.
Now that Holland is 12, she was asked to give her first talk (to the
entire congregation) in church next Sunday.
Her subject is a pretty good one-- Gratitude.
We were brainstorming about what she could share.
 I suggested she talk about our Thanksgiving experience
where Greer made cards that spelled out Thanksgiving.
She passed them around and had each of us say what we were thankful for--
For example, I got a T and had to say something that started with a T.
I told her she might consider telling about my mom's neighbor Janice--
who was told by the cancer doctors at both hospitals here in Boise
that there was nothing further they could do.
She has spent the past six months in Ohio getting experimental treatments
and she still doesn't know whether she will survive.
Yet when Janice got one of the letters from Greer, she was so gracious and full of gratitude.
It was really touching.
I thought it would be a great example of gratitude.
Holland's response was-- "Mom, I don't want to talk about cancer.
Cancer is everywhere in my life".
That sure silenced me.
I've gotta work on that.
Somehow, I've got to find some balance between
dealing with all of Kean's issues and yet not letting it rule our lives.
Oh, all the fun stuff that comes along with this lovely cancer curse.
It will be interesting (and probably a bit scary) to see what effect this
has on each of us long term.
As I've said before, we don't save for our kids' college funds-- 
we save for their counseling funds!

0 comments: