Reincarnated As A Mother

Saturday, December 7, 2013

Giving Not Getting

Eight years ago, a couple of my friends and I adopted a few refugee families
for Christmas-- to help them and to teach our children that Christmas
is more about giving than getting.
Our little "pet" project has grown  with each year.
And I mean grown.
Today we held what has become our traditional First American Christmas Party
for the Refugees.
We had-- between Refugees, interpreters and volunteers about
400 people.
 Our controlled chaos included lots of food, treats, gift bags, Christmas Carols,
crafts and a visit from you know who.
This year, Holland got to be one of his elves.
 Greer made fast friends with Sabrina even though she didn't speak a lick of English.
  I think her family just arrived from Congo.
I think the girls are about to disown me.
The past several years, they've sung a song or two at the party--
all Christmas Carols.  They agreed to do so again-- but didn't
know they'd be singing in front of nearly 400 until they got there today.
They were nervous-- and even with some microphone issues at the beginning--
they did great.  I don't know where they get their guts.
Speaking doesn't phase me-- but to sing in public would kill me.
What great little helpers on a great day.
I'm off to collapse in bed.

0 comments: