Reincarnated As A Mother

Thursday, October 1, 2009

Super Mom

I think I've told you in previous posts that when I grow up, I want to be my mom. She can do anything and everything. Case in point: we have tomatoes coming out of our proverbial ears. So (thanks to the cool recipe tip from Angie S.) my mom picked all of our tomatoes and half of Grandpa Bodily's. She cored them, quartered them and then we smothered them in olive oil, salt, pepper and basil. We then roasted them in the oven for about 4 hours at 350 degrees. My mom took out the juice and bottled that for soup stock.

Then we took the roasted tomato concoction and pureed it in my Cuisinart. Voila'--- the most incredible tasting pesto. We bagged it and froze it and will use it all winter long for Spaghetti sauces, pizza sauces, bruschetta etc. And the best part? My house smells like an Italian restaurant. Yummy!
Byron and the girls left this morning at around 4:30am for "Hannah Montana". Since I was already up (Kean decided to have his awake time from about 1:30 am on....) I got the girls ready and off. Wow, what a difference it makes to take a few kids out of the mix.
Libby, Kean's occupational therapist came today and showed me a whole new set of exercises to do with him. She did say he's doing great with his neck muscles and overall tone. So sweet, sweet progress!
I also had my check up with Dr. Lovelace today. It was so nice to see my hospital buddy again. Poor guy was in an accident and severely gashed his shin. He's on crutches and his leg is in a cast. He went through my (very sizable) chart with me-- back over all the many, many ultrasounds we had -- and there wasn't a single red flag to signal or prepare us for Downs. He said in his 15 years of being an OB/GYN, he's only had 4 or 5 of these cases slip through. Meaning, the parents had no indication that their baby would be a Trisomy 21 baby. My reaction is-- what hasn't been unusual about my pregnancy or this case.
I also stopped by Norco (a medical supply store) and picked up a band with sensors that will go over Kean's chest. Since I just taped on his last set of leads this morning for the heart/oxygen/apnea monitor-- we'll leave those on for a few days. But I am very hopeful, the new band will severely cut down on the middle of the night alarms.

4 comments:

Mama of 2 Hapas said...

Wow! That sounds awesome! Glad Kean is doing so great, and that things have quieted down with the older girls gone. Enjoy the brief respite! ;)

Jen said...

I am so glad things are going well! It sounds like you are getting so much support. I miss that place, I have never been the recipient of so much service then I when we were in Idaho. What amazing people. Congratulations to your beautiful family.

Marti said...

So glad to know he's picking things up so fast!

And the next time I come into a load of tomatos, I'm definitely slamming those babies in the oven like your mother did. It sounds like you'll be feasting all winter. :)

Happy Conference weekend!

The Good Life on Less! said...

Ok, those tomatoes look seriously yummy. I just got done roasting a bunch of veggies ... I'm a little slow on this whole cooking thing (as you know) but I think I'm hooked on anything that involves roasting veggies! Yum! ... and I want to be like your mother when I grow up also! :)

Love ya! Stac