Reincarnated As A Mother

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

A Real Christmas

I pulled Holland and Greer out of school today for a few hours and took them downtown for a Christmas Party at Agency for New Americans.
For the past six years, we've "adopted" some refugee families for Christmas.  This year, for the first time, the agency I help with, threw its first ever Holiday Party... complete with the big guy in Red or Baba Noelle (as one of the refugees called him).
 Most of the refugees I talked with came from Nepal, Congo, Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq and Somalia-- I think.  The language barrier with some of them made it hard for me to understand.  But everyone was so nice and so grateful for the gift baskets that many of my friends helped pull together.  Holland, Greer and their friend, Maddie had a grand time being Santa's little helpers.


 We started doing this several years ago-- because we wanted our children to realize Christmas is really about giving not getting.  It's a wonderful tradition filled with amazing, kind, humble and interesting people.  We love it.  But now I'm off to collapse (or at least drool in the corner)!

1 comments:

Nick said...

I've always wanted to do something like this with the kids. Tell me how to get involved.