Reincarnated As A Mother

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Hug your children a little tighter tonight...

I took Kean yesterday and drove with my dad and brother up to Weiser, ID (about 1 hour and 45 minutes from my house) to attend a funeral. It was one of those funerals that your heart about breaks just to attend. My cousin's three year old little boy drowned in a swimming pool. They had a very private graveside service-- but a viewing and luncheon for friends and relatives. I honestly don't know how my cousin, her husband and children got through the day. Benjamin's casket was smaller than a toddler bed-- fire engine red. He was a darling child. Surrounded by colorful photographs, tonka trucks and flowers. I think every parent there put themselves in the place of those parents-- wondering how they'd handle the overwhelming grief. I can't begin to fathom it. All I know is I went home and held onto my three year old (and the others) a bit tighter last night.

2 comments:

Shellee said...

Oh, that's so hard. I think that it's sad to have to learn from these experiences.

I hug my children tight and I'm so grateful that we have our trials... I will never complain or compare mine to others'.

Whitney said...

I didn't know you were cousins with Cami. I was just there in Weiser last week when my mom told me about this tragedy. And yes, I held my Stella a little tighter. She's tired of it, but I'm not letting go. So sad. It's the best obituary I've ever read . . . I felt like I knew this sweet little boy.